18 October 2014

Classics Club Check In

I haven't been very active on the Classics Club lately. Then again, I haven't been active at all, so that's understandable. I have, however, been reading a Classic or two since I joined up in March.

My list of Classics is - rather disgustingly - long, and only gets longer, so "progress" is relative. I have a list of 156 books, some of which have subsections listing the short stories, novellas, and even full length books within the larger compilation.

I've been slowly going through Kate Chopin's The Awakening and Other Stories. Slowly, in part due to my enjoyment but not love of Chopin combined with my exact same feelings regarding short stories. I've read The AwakeningDesiree's Baby, A Respectable Woman, and The Godmother and while I haven't been smacked across the face with awesome, I do like the stories and plan on finishing the collection.....at some point.

I started reading Fardorougha the Miser by William Carlton for a Classics Spin, but I tragically failed at finishing it. It's still lounging on the coffee table next to the couch, but it's a wee bit buried by about six other books at this time.

Right now, I'm in 3 of 5 stories in to In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu which I have already read (but never reviewed) and am reading again as I chose it for my Introduction to Literature course this semester. If you haven't already read this, I highly recommend it. There's monkeys and hallucinogenic tea, footsteps with no feet, a big ole heaping of getting what you deserve, vapid rich boys, and lesbian vampires.

I am - obviously - not as involved as I would like to be, but still I'm doing what I can and I hope (fingers crossed) to have more time to dedicate to blogging in general...or rather less time overall, but I'm working on limiting some other activities in my life that take away from blogging.

Just yesterday I started looking at what I was going to read next. I'm thinking of reading a Dostoevsky. I have Notes from the Underground, The Grand Inquisitor, Poor Folk, and Crime and Punishment on the shelves. Any recommendations?

3 comments:

  1. Kate Chopin is one of the few Classics authors that I actually like. Going to school to be an English education teacher I thought was going to ruin my love of reading. I really made me realize why so many jr high/high school kids hate reading. The most of the required reading is boring.

    Blogging gets in your blood. With my traveling, I get away from it but always feel something missing when I do. Glad to have you back in the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Classics Club because you can read what you want at your own pace. It does give me just a little extra push to pick up a few classics I'd been putting off though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read exactly one book since signing up a couple months ago and I haven't even reviewed it. :/

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!