28 October 2014

Top 10 Halloweeny Books or Movies

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. To learn more about Top Ten Tuesday or see the list of future topics click here.

Top Ten Books/Movies to Read or Watch to Get in the Halloween Spirit

Five Movies
Links to IMdB

The Nightmare Before Christmas : Tim Burton's film (directed by Henry Selick) is a wonderful way to get in the Halloween spirit - despite the fact the film is about Jack Skellington's discovery of the strange Christmas Town.

The Amityville Horror : I am most definitely talking about the 1979 version, not the 2005 remake. In this fun and frolicking tale, some newlyweds buy a haunted house and are treated to terror.

Poltergeist : Young blond chick staring at a fuzzy television screen. You've seen this and even just that image freaked you out.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre : 1974, not 2003 version. Grave-robbing cannibals take out some kids with a chainsaw.

Hocus Pocus : This is clearly the number 1 Halloween movie of all time, and you should run out and buy a copy right now if you don't already have one.




Five Books
Links to my reviews

In A Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu : A collection of five stories, 3 focused on "spectral illusions" and 2 on "monsters", this is a perfectly creepy read where you aren't sure if the supernatural elements are real or the result of guilty/overactive psyches.

Dracula by Bram Stoker (especially the annotated edition) : The story of Dracula itself is entertaining, thought-provoking, beautifully Victorian, and compelling; but to read the story with a scholar's notes at your side - a scholar who chooses to believe it is a true story - is absolutely fantastic....and creepy.

The Sandman Series (graphic novels) by Neil Gaiman : Many times when I read something I deem creepy, it's in a sporadic, silly, or disgusting way, but not this novel. Gaiman sets a creepy tone and maintains it throughout the entire story. The pictures accompanying the text - this is afterall a graphic novel - do nothing the diminish this tone. I never found myself smiling at a ridiculous image.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness : Truly unique, the tale features three stories from the monster which reveal important truths but not ones typical for a fairy tale. I was so impressed with these stories: the way they worked together to complement the main narrative and the way they revealed humanity and not a pat moral. A Monster Calls also uses numerous illustrations throughout and they are done in a wonderfully creepy, gray scale style.

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury : This is my number 1 Halloween book. Cooger & Dark's is more than just a dingy, dirty, dark carnival; it is alive, it breathes, it feeds. It is temptation, and that is why Bradbury's carnival creation is so much more sinister than other literary carnivals and freakshows I have read about. What a beautifully mysterious tale of good and evil.





12 comments:

  1. THIS IS HALLOWEEN, THIS IS HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN...can't get the song out of my head now! And, A Monster Calls, what an amazing book that was. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves Hocus Pocus! It's such a silly movie. It's probably tied with It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm dying to read both the Neil Gaiman & the Patrick Ness. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hocus Pocus is the best Halloween movie ever, hands down :D
    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! Hocus Pocus and The Nightmare Before Christmas are definitely THE Halloween movies. Also, I just finished Sandman this week and I'm really sad that I have no more Dream to read about. It was such a great graphic novel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh The Nightmare Before Christmas! I love that movie, but haven't watched it enough in my life to feel like I could consider it a favorite. I don't really do well with scary movies, so that's probably why Hocus Pocus is one of my all time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh A Monster Calls, what a great choice! In all my Halloween-book searching, I cannot believe I forgot that one! I am not much of a scary movie watcher, but these sound pretty interesting. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre made me laugh more than cringe. But the 70s version is 100% better than the Jessica Biel one! Hocus Pocus is one I haven't seen in a while. I keep meaning to read Dracula but I am such a scaredy cat that I talk myself out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good picks! I absolutely love The Nightmare Before Christmas -- so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! My daughter Trisha (lovely name ... don't you think?) loves The Nightmare Before Christmas and Hocus Pocus and wants to watch them every year.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!