11 November 2014

The Search for Fairy Tales (Experts)

Week 2's Nonfiction November prompt is hosted by Leslie at Regular RuminationThree ways to join in this week! You can either share 3 or more books on a single topic that you have read and can recommend (be the expert), you can put the call out for good nonfiction on a specific topic that you have been dying to read (ask the expert), or you can create your own list of books on a topic that you’d like to read (become the expert).

While my original "Expert" post for this week focused on Freak Shows, I also have long been fascinated with Fairy Tales, so I thought I would take this opportunity to research some books which will:

  1. Provide me with the ORIGINAL iterations of fairy tales
  2. Compare the originals with the "softer" versions we have today and hopefully expound upon the socio-cultural shifts which necessitated those changes
  3. Analyze the importance and effect of fairy tales on both children and adults

This was most definitely not as easy as I thought it would be. Trying to find a collection of original fairy tales - which are actually the originals - is proving quite difficult. The Grimm Brothers certainly collected the original tales; however they had to tone down the tales they collected for their entirely unintended young audience. As such, some of the anthologies claiming to be the "original" stories are actually just the first sanitized versions.

Charles Perrault, the Grimm Brothers predecessor, never, I believe, sanitized the tales he told, so it's quite possible that books by him, like Perrault's Fairy Tales, do have the originals. If any of you have read books that are the actual original fairy tales, please let me know in the comments!

For information on the differences between the original tales and their current versions, there's a ton of articles and sites you can find online. For example, we have a Huffington Post article about the real life origins of some of our most famous fairy tales, and here's another from Huffington about the original iterations of a handful of fairy tales. In the Books section of the UK's Stylist, we have an article listing the 8 Darkest Fairy Tales along with their original authors. Any other online sources you find useful on this topic?

Fairy tales themselves are classified as nonfiction, but I wanted some secondary sources as well, and these are the most interesting sounding ones I have found so far (summaries from GoodReads):

From the Beast to the Blonde: On Fairy Tales and their Tellers by Marina Warner: In this landmark study of the history and meaning of fairy tales, the celebrated cultural critic Marina Warner looks at storytelling in art and legend-from the prophesying enchantress who lures men to a false paradise, to jolly Mother Goose with her masqueraders in the real world. Why are storytellers so often women, and how does that affect the status of fairy tales?

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales by Kate Bernheimer: A collection of original essays by leading women writers, including Margaret Atwood, Anne Beattie, Julia Alvarez, Joyce Carol Oates, A. S. Byatt, Rosellen Brown, and many others, explores the various fairy tales that have shaped their lives and their work.

The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales by Bruno Bettelheim: The famous child psychologist, explains how fairy tales educate, support, and liberate the emotions of children.

The Witch Must Die: The Hidden Meanings of Fairy Tales by Sheldon Cashdan: In The Witch Must Die, Sheldon Cashdan explores how fairy tales help children deal with psychological conflicts by projecting their own internal struggles between good and evil onto the battles enacted by the characters in the stories.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know!

9 comments:

  1. I don't have any specific suggestions, but this is a great topic! I have read many novels that provide re-tellings of fairy tales, and reading those books always make me think of the origins of the tales. I read some sections of Bettelheim back in college for a psychology class--truly fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fairytales and read a lot of these while I was at university as my dissertation was on fairytales and feminism. I have no idea how, but I didn't realise that fairytales themselves were classified as nonfiction! I can't help with originals as I'm as confused as you by who's changed what and I know that almost all of the Grimm ones are edited or changed, although I do have The Annotated Brothers Grimm from W.W. Norton which contains a lot of the original stories but isn't complete as far as I'm aware! I've added Mirror Mirror on the Wall to my wish list, it sounds fantastic! My whole project centred around Angela Carter, so if you haven't read The Bloody Chamber, I can highly recommend that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your three goals. There are some great retellings out there but it surprises me that you are finding it so difficult to find original texts. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fascinating. It's amazing how sanitized the stories have become over time. Every other generation seems set on making all of the life lessons, in the fairy tales, into cartoons or something. You seem to have done some serious homework too. These books seem spot on. Thank you for curating this list and sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read the first two and they were great. Marina Warner recently published a short book called Once Upon a Time that's meant to be an introductory history of fair tales (haven't read it yet but I plan to), and Bernheimer has a companion anthology with men discussing fairy tales called Brothers & Beasts.

    More recommendations: Maria Tatar! The Hard Facts of the Grimms' Fairy Tales is just what you're looking for. Jack Zipes is also great, and I think Fairy Tales and the Art of Subversion, The Brothers Grimm: From Enchanted Forests to the Modern World and The Irresistible Fairy Tale: The Cultural and Social History of a Genre are particularly relevant to what you've outlined.

    As for online sources, http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/ is my go-to place for all things fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to make all the recommendations Ana just made, but I'd have gotten them from her in the first place. :p I'd add that Wayne State University Press has a series of books about fairy tales and their place in popular culture -- I haven't read any of them yet, but a lot of them look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Marina Werner books sounds marvellous.

    I loved Bettleheim's book. I read it nearly 20 yrs ago, but much of it has lingered. When I was preschool teaching I was fascinated by how certain stories attracted or repelled certain children. Bettleheim gave me some tools for working out what these forces might be.

    http://bronasbooks.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/my-year-in-non-fiction.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a NF review book called Once Upon a Time to read that is supposed to tell about fairy tales. I will let you know if it is any good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! I have about a million fairy tale retellings on my TBR list, and now I might have to add some more books about fairy tales! Great topic!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!