07 March 2015

Weekend Cooking: Corn and Feta Pasta with Meatballs

Michael Symon's 5 in 5 cookbook is how I began my cooking journey three years ago, and the first recipe I tried was the Angel Hair with Corn, Feta, and Tomato. Delicious. Then I coupled it with Symon's Lazy Meatballs, and a family favorite was born. Here's the recipe, straight from the book:


Personally, I was a bit concerned with the pasta-corn combo as it seemed...well, weird. And it is a bit weird in thought. But it's awesome in practice. I have fresh-frozen corn all winter (I married a farmer), and it is delicious in pasta. Who knew?

Now then, making the recipe straight-up according to the directions equals a delicious meal, but here are a few variations that I think work really well:
  • Cut down on the amount of pasta - or more likely, increase the amount of the other ingredients, especially the corn
  • Add zucchini and/or squash, simply cook it with the corn in step 2
  • Eliminate the red pepper flakes if you have spicy-resistant eaters or increase if you are all spicy-lovers
  • Just put the feta on the table so everyone can add as much as they want
My vegetarian days are long behind me, and my husband has been an avid meat-eater his whole life, so I tried pairing this recipe with Symon's Lazy Meatballs. Definite winner. The meatballs are simple enough - buy some mild Italian sausage, roll them into meatballs, and grill.

Not only do the hubby and I adore this meal, but Madison is also a fan, and this is a wonderful way for her to get her servings of veggies.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds very awesome! (But I would omit the meatballs!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THis sounds amazing! I'm not much of a cook, but this sounds like something even I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Michael Symon and have heard great things about this cookbook - I love the 5 ingredient concept. Nothing frustrates me more than a miles long ingredient list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that idea of using sausage for meatballs. How easy is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of Symon's Lazy Meatballs, and they sound good, but we often grill Italian sausage to go with dishes that have feta, so I don't know if I'd bother to take the sausages apart to make meatballs out of them! That's sad, that I'm too lazy to even make lazy meatballs! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy ground sausage. :) No way I would take them out of casings either!

      Delete
    2. Now I'm craving a sausage from the grill, but hubby gave up eating meat for Lent!

      Delete
  6. The lazy meatballs made me smile. I've never tried adding corn to any pasta recipe. This sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sausage for meatballs sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That combination does sound good. I love pasta and all the delicious things that can be tossed with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit jealous that your family loves this recipe. Ha! I think I'd really like it but would have a tough time convincing those others. And yum--I do love corn but haven't thought it include it with pasta. I usually use peas if I'm going to toss something in with noodles.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!