18 September 2007

88 Books Read

I have read 88 books since December 2006, actually a bit below average for me. But the real problem as I see it, is the level of books is getting lower as well.... Using my own strange system of classification, I have determined that the books I've read fall into the following headings:

Easy: 56
Medium: 16
Hard: 13
Brain Bending: 3

Now, this does not include the texts I have to read for my job (which as a teacher of composition and literature has a good number of hard and a bit of brain bending). But still, these statistics are indicative of a grave problem.....

I am enjoying reading too much. I need to get back to the serious minded, studious, all brain bending all the time Trisha I used to be. Otherwise I'm convinced my brain will rot right there inside my skull. I will spit out cliches. I will stop putting commas in front of the word 'and'. I will become even more ADD after being indoctrinated in the immediate understanding and entertainment style of reading. I will lose my ability to persevere through complex ideas. I will come to believe simplistic plotlines with cookie cutter characters are great works of literature. Oh my god, I may start watching soap operas.

I must immediately go read Nietzche, Foucault, finish that damn Simulacra and Simulation book, find an obscure philosopher that no one has ever read and write a dissertation on his/her contribution to theories of aesthetics. I must read historical non-fiction regarding the progression of whatever and whoever. More educational theory texts must be digested and contemplated. War and Peace must be theorized over and perhaps critically compared to other Tolstoy works. I must immerse myself in intellectual pursuits before I become too....

Normal?
Idiotic?
Happy?
Conformist?
Average?
Simple?

2 comments:

  1. So what are you reading today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I read a book by Susan Donovan - another romance novel. And I did read a bit more of Le Fanu's In a Glass Darkly; although as I've read this twice before, I'm not sure it really counts. What are you reading?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!