09 December 2008

Writing Prompts

I read a writing prompt. Write from the point of view of the last tree standing in the forest. My first thought was: That's right; I finally got rid of all those water hogs. But then I thought maybe it was supposed to be a depressing type of prompt. Oh god, I'm all alone, the last of my kind, I should probably just fall over and die now. Further reflection changed the fall over and die portion to attempt to reproduce in a solitary fashion in order to single handedly save tree-kind from extinction. Now, my mind is just blank. Any ideas? What do you think the last tree in the forest would be thinking?

1 comment:

  1. The Tree was the last in the forest. Standing solitary and proud, it spread its branches as far as they could reach, striving to capture all of the sun's warmth. They spread wider and wider, the leaves casting a great mottled shadow on ground below. Time passed, and the rain and sun only spurred more growth. The Tree's great canopy was never out of sunlight, and on its branches it tasted the salt sea air, the wind through vast plains, the cool chilled air flowing from the mountains- all at once. In its solitude the Tree had encompassed all of the earth. It knew intuitively all of nature, it used that knowledge to accomplish the miraculous: one day, after much more time had passed, a single Acorn grew on its branch. The Acorn soon grew heavy and fell to the earth. The Tree retracted its canopy, and gave light to the seed.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!