18 April 2009

Additions to the Previous Post

I just began working on a lesson plan for Fight Club and as I watched and thought about the film, I couldn't help but think that it fits in quite nicely with Postman and Huxley (previous post). The anti-consumerism present in the film as well as the struggle with individual identity in a homogeneous society just screams Brave New World. Tyler Durden, a main character, says "You do the job you’re trained to do. Pull a lever. Push a button. You don’t understand any of it, and then you just die" and that phrase almost perfectly echoes the civilized characters in Brave New World.

....I'm still thinking on this so more later...

2 comments:

  1. trisha- thanks for your kind words! your blogs are great.. lots of interesting thoughts.

    oh. and just an FYI.. the negative attitude toward academia is only because i am in over my head right now. i do like school, a lot. promise! :)

    have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) We all have those times when the world of academia is just a giant pain! Stick with it though; it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!