21 April 2009

Recommendations Please

I have decided to teach my Introduction to Literature class using actual novels and plays rather than an anthology. This, of course, opens up the entire history of writing, and I can not help but want to teach everything. Unfortunately, I'm thinking five books is the limit. Here's my list of possibilities so far, but I would love it if you guys could help me out by suggesting some books (non-fiction, fiction, drama) and commenting on those I've already included. I've only included author's names when I thought there might be confusion.

NOVELS
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
Divine Comedy
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Gulliver's Travels
Dracula
Lolita
Brave New World
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Slaughterhouse-Five
HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Good Omens
Sandman by Neil Gaiman

SHORT STORIES
Nocturnes by John Connolly
In a Glass Darkly

NON-FICTION
Night by Elie Wiesel
Blues for Cannibals
Naked by David Sedaris
Stiff by Mary Roach

DRAMA
Pygmalion
The Glass Menagerie
No Exit by Sartre
Six Characters in Search of an Author

YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE
His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

GRAPHIC NOVELS
Watchmen
Dark Knight
Maus

2 comments:

  1. I was going to say you *have* to take up Slaughterhouse-Five, but then I got down your list and saw Maus as well... Both of them would probably be too much out of 5, unless... You combine the two and count them as 1? :) I think both these books make quite an impression on *anyone* - and lots to talk about as well!

    The Moonstone might be fun as well because it's supposed to be the first detective story, isn't it? Let us know what books you decide on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gnoegnoe - It's difficult too decide isn't it? I'm still trying to figure it all out and wondering how long the bookstore will let me put off making my choices. :)

    Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!