03 June 2009

Book Review: Preludes and Nocturnes



Title: Preludes Nocturnes
Author: Neil Gaiman
Published: 1995 Pages: 235
Genre: Graphic Novel, Horror
Rating: 3/5

Buy  |  Borrow  |  Accept  |  Avoid

Preludes Nocturnes is the first novel in Gaiman's Sandman series. A graphic novel, P&N introduces readers to Morpheus, the Master of Dreams. Imprisoned for decades by a power-hungry man, Morpheus frees himself and attempts to retake various trappings of his profession. Other stories, related directly or indirectly, are interwoven into the narrative.

I was intrigued by the foundation this novel sets up, but I'm not rushing to go out and buy the second. I probably will as I am a bit curious to see where the story goes. I will say this: There is a mini-story in the novel called 24 Hours that is absolutely horrifying. I was so disturbed I read it twice - I like being disturbed; what can I say?

The more I write and think about this novel, the more I find myself feeling kindly towards it if that makes sense. For instance, I just flipped it open and caught this passage:
"People think dreams aren't real because they aren't made of matter, of
particles. Dreams are real but they are made of viewpoints, of images, of
memories and puns and lost hopes."
A wonderful philosophy. So I will go buy the next and see what happens.

Side Note: I typed up the review for this quite a while ago, but forgot to post it, so that's why this review comes after my review of Doll's House.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me baby!