30 August 2009

Sunday Salon: The First

The Sunday Salon.com
This is my first Sunday Salon post despite the fact I signed up months ago. I'm still entirely unsure how the whole thing works. One thing I do know, however, I am to talk about books. Not a problem.

Recently Finished Books
This past week I finished Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, read Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones, and Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris. All three books were attached to reading challenges I'm currently participating in.

Challenges Update
I finished two challenges this past week: What's in a Name and the Chunkster Challenge. I am still working on seven reading challenges, so keep your fingers crossed.

What's Coming
I'm reading Club Dead, the third book in the Sookie Stackhouse series right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll have it done today. Next on the list is John Connolly's Nocturnes, Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, and The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. All of these will be re-reads that I'm teaching this semester in my Intro to Lit course.

Interesting Extras
Meyer stole Breaking Dawn: "A woman who wrote an obscure vampire book as a teenager has sued "Twilight" author Stephenie Meyer, accusing her of stealing ideas from the work for the fourth book in her vampire series, "Breaking Dawn.""

50 percent of American adults are unable to read an eighth grade level book.


6 comments:

  1. My husband really wants to read Slaughterhouse Five... have you read any other Vonnegut books? I haven't so I have no clue what he's like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny - This was actually my first by Vonnegut, but it was excellent and I plan on reading more by him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Sunday Salon! I've been trying to decide if I want to attempt The Name of the Rose myself...have read mixed reviews. Congratulations on finishing the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoAnn - Thanks for the welcome! It definitely does have mixed reviews, but I recommend reading it, especially if you like Sherlock Holmes style mysteries and/or religious issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the Sunday Salon! And congratulations on the challenges you finished. I'm not doing all that well with mine this year :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nymeth - Thanks for the welcome! I've been hovering around the Sunday Salon for some time now but I finally decided to join in. I have a contradictory personality - I don't like being confined to a task but if I am, I have to finish it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!