26 September 2009

Book Review: Greek Homosexuality


Title: Greek Homosexuality
Author: K.J. Dover
Published: 1989 Pages: 206
Genre: Nonfiction, History
Rating: N/A

Buy  |  Borrow  |  Accept  |  Avoid

Okay, I didn't finish it. I'm sorry. I find the topic absolutely fascinating, but the text was much too much a "research text" for me. There was no story, no insightful prose, merely an analytic study of the etymology of words and the use of homosexual themes in greek art. For the most part, I thought the book could have been summed up quite well in much much less than its 206 pages.

I skimmed various sections of the text and spent a great deal of time looking at the images presented in the center of the book, but I can't count this as one I actually read. I am, however, on the lookout for more "user friendly" texts that address this subject, so if you know of any, please let me know.

And that's all I have to say about that....

4 comments:

  1. What a pity! The topic certainly is fascinating. If you do find a more readable book about it, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nymeth - I know! I had high hopes for it. Same goes - if you find anything, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, with that title, I would have expected maybe a little more. The title is so direct so you think the book might be. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenners - I agree! I thought it would be this sexy, intriguing discussion, and instead it was like reading the most boring, advanced, dry textbook in existence. Too bad since it's such a fascinating subject.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!