11 September 2009

An Illegal Library

Chris from book-a-rama posted this link, and all I have to say is I would be proud to be this kid's mother. She (I think it's a she) has an illegal library running out of her locker and the one next to him full of books which have been removed/banned from his school.

I was wondering what to do with my students for Banned Books Week a few posts ago, and I will certainly be using this kid's story.

What would you do if your kid was running an illegal library out of his or her locker?

9 comments:

  1. I'd up his book allowance so he could add more books to his library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be very proud of my kid, so long as the books were not related to p*rn, child p*rn, etc. I would encourage him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. softdrink - Love it!

    SafeLibraries - Yeah, having kiddie p*rn in the locker is definitely not as cool as having the perks of being a wallflower and Canterbury Tales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to run a library out of my house for Nancy Drew books. So naturally I think any child who does this is brilliant! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd definitely stand by her side if she ran into any trouble. I don't think I'd like her going to a school that banned books anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhapsody - That is awesome. I've always been a bit too possessive of my books, and it's only been in recent years that I have actively pursued people "checking out" my books.

    SafeLibraries - You have certainly provided me with a lot of information about the ALA.

    Chris - I'm with you! Time for a switch to a public school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, I love softdrink's idea :D I think I'd do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What awesomeness!! I would be so proud of my kid. I am happy to say that my daughter would back this up and probably join in adding another "section of the library" in her locker!!! And I would stand behind her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nymeth and Christine - It's really too bad a kid has to do this, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!