13 September 2009

Sunday Salon: A Slow Week

It has been a slow week for reading. Not a single book read for 11 days. Let me explain....

Four years ago, I found out I wasn't eligible for Lasik. My eyesight was just too bad. They did say I could get PRK (I think that's the acronym) but the suggestion of pain and longer recovery time just didn't appeal to me. Afterall, I wasn't overly thrilled about the whole thing in the first place. I'm terrified of being blind, so I took the excuse not to get the surgery and moved on.

I've had glasses since second grade, and my eyesight deteriorated quickly. When I took off my glasses, I couldn't even see my hand in front of my face clearly. Most people can see feet or yards, but I was unable to identify how many fingers you were holding up even if your hand was inches from my face. For some reason, on my 29th birthday, I decided enough was enough, and I went to find out if the Lasik instruments had caught up to my bad eyes or if there was another procedure besides the painful PRK. The assistant said I could get a Visian ICL implant which is like a permanent contact inserted into the eye. I said, what the hell.

So on Thursday, September 3, I went in for the first stage of the operation: getting holes punched in my irises to relieve pressure. That was not fun. Hurt like a somnabitch but still was manageable. Then on Friday, September 11, I had the actual implantation surgery which by the way, did not hurt at all at all.

Here's what they did:



I can not believe I let them do that to me. However, it is so amazingly cool to be able to see. I mean absolutely fantabulous. Unfortunately between the poking holes in my eyes, the blurry vision, the nervousness, and finally the actual surgery, I didn't get any reading done!

As for book related news, I'm so excited for BBAW. This will be my first time participating and I can't wait to see what's going to happen. I have my posts all ready to go, and I've even figured out how I can work in some BBAW time at work. Sshhhh...

I have quite a few books to read in the next two months for challenges. Particularly the following:

1. Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
2. Don't Panic by Neil Gaiman
3. Dream Country by Neil Gaiman
4. Seasons of Mist by Neil Gaiman
5. Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman
6. Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman
7. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
8. Nocturnes by John Connolly
9. Greek Homosexuality by K.J. Dover
10. Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis


Time to get reading....

....without glasses or contacts....

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That's awesome that you can see so much better now!

    And I thought you were just going to say you've been too busy to read and I was thinking me too! lol! You have a better reason though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! But cool. Did they do both eyes at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to thank you for blogging about this. I'm also not a LASIK candidate, for the same reasons you mentioned. I've heard about the implant procedure but haven't pursued it, and you're the first person I've known of who has actually had it done. I'm glad it went so well and was so successful for you! Maybe that's just the nudge I need to follow up on it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny - I still can't quite believe I can see; I keep thinking I need to take out my contacts.

    softdrink - Same sitting, but not simultaneously. And get this, the whole thing only took a half-hour.

    Florinda - You really should get it done. After only two days, I can't believe the difference it is making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very cool that it all worked and you can see now! My eye doctor seems to think that I'm a good candidate for Lasik, but I gotta admit, the thought of people tinkering around with my eyes frightens me to death. I do still have a delicious fantasy of waking up in the morning, opening my eyes, and oh...being able to see the clock across the room. It's so very mundane, but it would really be a great feeling. Hmmm...maybe someday I'll get the guts to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan - Go for it! The simple things are the best. For example, I took a shower this morning, and I could see to shave my legs. It was a special moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trisha...so glad you were able to have this procedure. It sounds similar to the implants I had put in during cataract surgery...mine was in and out in 2 hours. Two weeks between eyes....and I could see!!!

    I still need to wear 'reading glasses' now that I'm at social security age, but wow, what a difference. I'd had to wear glasses from the time I was 6, so it's so great to be able to see forever. Happy reading..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tina - It's something so hard to explain to those who've never had to wear glasses isn't it? Happy reading to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!