24 September 2009

Trisha on TV


As the Fall Season of television begins - with a few new intriguing shows - I've been rather bombarded by images, information, and inanity. Here's some of it:

NCIS
In its seventh season, NCIS is like an old friend, and not that old friend that you wonder why you still talk to. I'm talking about the person who has been around forever, who you know like you know yourself, but who still manages to surprise you from time to time with trips to Vegas. Unfortunately the first episode of the season, Truth or Consequences, was more like a rainy afternoon lounging together on the couch than an exciting adventure. I'm hoping Gibbs and team pick up the pace by next week.

NCIS: Los Angeles
Being quite the fan of NCIS and Chris O'Donnell, I was very excited for the premiere. While the premise of the episode was fraught with possibilities, the action felt stilted, periods of boredom punctuated by a sudden punch. Maybe this episode was more like a character study than an action flick, but I still was left disappointed. I am, however, willing to give it a few weeks to get into the swing of things.

The Forgotten
Boring. I was bored. Really really bored. I think I'm going to have to drop this one.

Eastwick
Errrrggg. Also boring. I will not be watching next week.

Vampire Diaries
While the show is rather kitchy, I'm still sort of hooked. The lead, Stefan, has found one million ways to look sympathetic and brooding, and I'm holding out for the one millionth and one. The third episode contained some shifts I'm not impressed with such as Stefan joining football, but the premise of the show is very interesting, and of course, vampires are just cool.

The Mentalist
Simon Baker just tickles my fancy in this show. His arrogant, quirky, manipulative hyperintelligence is just sexy for some reason. I hope they have some new and interesting cases this year as I can see the show getting repetitive if they don't throw in a new hook. The new character they've introduced who will be taking over the Red John case offers some possibilities, but it's possible his attitude toward Jane will just be frustrating.

Fringe
My favorite so far this season, Fringe is such an oddball collection of the supernatural that I'm very excited to see where they take the show this season. And I am proud to say that I finally don't look at "Peter" and think "Pacey". I'm still a bit upset by the whole Charlie situation though; I just liked him.

Well, there are some of my thought about my two weeks of television watching. I still have a few more shows to watch such as Bored to Death, and I'm missing some of the summer shows like Leverage and Dark Blue, but I'm hopeful.

Now, how pitiful is it that I watch this much TV????? Is this what's in my future....

5 comments:

  1. I don't watch any of those! But I am definitely out of control with my tv watching. It's REALLY bad. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you're a Fringe fan too! :) Yeah the Charlie situation is going to drive me nuts... *sigh* oh well.

    Actually I think this:
    that old friend that you wonder why you still talk to. fits my feelings about NCIS except it's more along the lines of "that old friend that you wonder why you still talk to, but then they do something that reminds you EXACTLY why you still talk to them." - as in despite the problems they do have some awesome episodes that make it worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm worried that the brooding scowl in between Stefan's eyebrows will crack someday, and his brains will tumble out. Seriously, does he never smile?

    I'm watching season 5 of Supernatural, and the Winchester brothers are breaking my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kida liked the forgotten. I've got The Mentalist taped. Hope to watch it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny - My TV watching is also extraordinarily pathetic. Do I even have a life? Eh, whatever. :)

    Jen - Yep, I love Fringe despite drawbacks like Olivia being a bit too...secretive? internal? I'm not sure what it is, but there's something just off about her for me.

    Elizabeth - Exactly!

    Stacy - I think I'm so used to action packed crime dramas that The Forgotten was just too slow for me. Probably more of a "me" thing than the show itself.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!