19 September 2009

Weekly Geeks: Burn Out


Weekly Geeks wants to know: Are you burnt out after a week like BBAW? How do you counter burn out? Take a break? Soldier on? Or if you don't feel burnt out after such weeks, why not? Also why are you a book blogger? From what I've seen and experienced, it's certainly not the fame or the glory that you get. So what is it? Why? Why? Why?

The answer in self-interview:

Good Trisha: Ah, it's been a long week. Time to get back to our normal routine.

Bad Trisha: *mutters" How come it's gotta stop?

Good Trisha: Come now dearie, you know you've been slacking on work. We have a ton of papers to grade, projects to assess, and lesson plans to create.

Bad Trisha: Don't wanna. I wanna blog and read and blog and read and blog and..

Good Trisha: That's enough now Trisha. Be a big girl and get to work.

Bad Trisha: No.

Good Trisha: *a bit exasperated* These papers won't grade themselves you know.

Bad Trisha: Don't care.

Good Trisha: *rolls her eyes* Of course you do sweetie. You want your students to learn, don't you?

Bad Trisha: *sulks prettily*

Good Trisha: Aren't you even the teensiest bit tired of books and blogging? Afterall it's been pretty hectic this last week.

Bad Trisha: NO! I'M NOT TIRED YET! I DON'T WANT IT TO END! I DON'T WANT TO WORK! AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!

Good Trisha: Well I think we should rest. Next week is Banned Books Week and then we have the 24 hour Read-a-Thon, and NCTE's National Day on Writing is coming up. You want to be rested and ready for all those fun things, don't you?

Bad Trisha: I guess....

Good Trisha: There now, be a good girl and let's get some work done, so we'll be ready for the rest of the book blogging fun.

*Good Trisha turns to pick up a stack of student papers. Bad Trisha bashes her over the head with Douglas Adams' Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, grabs a book and a computer and proceeds to do what she wants.*

Go Bad Trisha!

~~~~~~~~~~

I love reading and talking about books, so book blogging is a fun past time for me. I really do this for myself, so I never feel pressured to hurry up and post a review. Because of this lack of pressure, I don't really get burned out. I do what I want when I want and so far that's working out for me.

13 comments:

  1. I love the battle between good Trisha and bad Trisha. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...this makes me not miss teaching even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Great post! Glad to hear you don't seem to be burning out. I kind of go in waves. (I love blogging! Argh, blogging's a chore. Blogging's great! Blogging's too much work! I don't feel like doing anything but blogging! I don't have time for all this blogging! Er, okay, that's enough. LOL) Nonetheless, it's something I keep on coming back to, this book blogosphere is too good to miss out on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lola - Thanks! I swear that's what's been going through my head all day today - and nothing has been graded.

    softdrink - I love my job. Eager college students ready to learn...er sometimes anyway. But grading is *shudders*; there's just no word.

    Megan - I think I'm too new. I've only been in this since about March or April and I had a very slow start into the book blogging world, so everything's still new and shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way. I blog for myself and tend to only post something when I feel like I have something to say. It definitely helps keep things in perspective.

    I understand about the grading, although mine is studying. Books v. studying - books will win unless Good Michelle is the one to crack Bad Michelle over the head. Good luck getting your papers graded!! Remember, your students hated to write them as much as you dislike having to grade them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris - Thanks! I wish I could say I was clever, but that conversation has seriously been in my head all day.

    Michelle - I think blogs should be personal. Some people have scheduled posts - three times a week or something. Some times I post three times a day, others three times a week.. And I always try to remember that it's my fault I have to grade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. Interesting how you did it. I thrive on it. Reading, writing, blogging! What else is there?

    :D

    Weekly Geeks: Why/What makes us go on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kerrie - Exactly!

    Gautami - I do too! And hey, it keeps me from watching too much tv.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute dialog! I feel like this sometimes too.

    happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks DelGal! Happy week to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that's too funny! I am jealous though that you never get tired of blogging. I sometimes do but I keep doing it nonetheless. It is a lot of fun after all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lilly - I think the real thing is that I just don't blog if I don't feel like it!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!