02 February 2010

The Book List

Rebecca at Lost in Books is hosting this awesome meme.  The way you complete it is simple:
  • There is a different topic each week, which will be posted at Lost in Books.
  • You write a post on your own blog about the topic.
  • The post will be a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic. So, for example, if the topic were, say, 3 Books That Make You Want to Go Shopping, you would write a list of 3 books that when you read them made you want to max out your credit card. I have no idea what those books would be, but you get the picture.
  • You may include photos with your lists, especially if that helps illustrate your point.
  • You link back to the week's post on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here.
  • Then you go to Lost in Books and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list! 
This weeks topic is 3 Books I Read when I Need a Good Cry and the meme post and Mr. Linky can be found at Lost in Books.

My List:

1.  When God Looked the Other Way by Wesley Adamcyk: In May of 1940, 25,000 Polish Army officers were led into the Katyn Forest in eastern Poland by their Red Army captors and executed. Adamczyk's father was one of them. In this finely wrought memoir of loss and survival, Adamczyk tells his family's story against the backdrop of a little known chapter of WWII—the forced exile of thousands of Poles by the Soviet government in the opening weeks of the war. With this work, Adamczyk has brought illumination and honor to the families of the thousands who suffered the same terrible fate.  ~Amazon : My Post on this Book can be found here.

2.  The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton: According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser.  ~Amazon

3.  Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson: The life story of a Saudi princess as told to an American journalist, Princess details the dysfunction, hypocrisy and imposed inertia of the royal family in general, and depravity of some members in particular. Most of all, it describes the gilded but treacherous cage in which royal women are forced to live, and the vulnerability of all Saudi & foreign worker women in the Kingdom. ~GoodReads


These three books are real tear jerkers for me, and that's saying something as I am not a cryer.  Titanic, The Notebook, even Where the Red Fern Grows, no tears.  However, the following situation would definitely make me cry too. Poor kid. How disturbing is this?
 
www.foundshit.com


4 comments:

  1. I'm actually glad someone else bawled reading The Outsiders. I don't ever cry reading books, but that book really did me in. So now I've got two more to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that picture is one of the best things I've ever seen. Thanks for the early-morning laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put The Outsiders on my list too. I read it in high school and the fact that it made me cry has always stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a different list!

    And that photos ... weird.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!