03 March 2010

BiP: Labels Make My Brain Hurt


Week 2: Pumping Up Post Titles

For this task, I simply revised and re-posted an older discussion of the new technology that makes Big Brother a scary reality.  For my title I chose The Orwellian Future: How the Government Can Stick Their 1984-esque Devices Up Their Collective Asses.  Super long, I know, but it does get the point across I think.  I wish I had the creativity and the time to continually come up with creative titles, but I seem to get stuck on the typical Book Review: Insert Title Here. ;)  This is something I should really work on.



Week 3: Organizing Your Categories and Tags
I am officially jealous of Word Press users, who seem blessed with some sort of tremendous, hierarchical structure.  Alas, I am stuck with labels.  I, painfully and tediously, went through my labels and limited them as much as possible.  Now, however, I'm worried that my labels aren't focused enough.  Here's what I have:

Adaptation, Awards and Giveaways, Banned Books Week, BBAW, BBW Challenge, BiP, book quote, book review, challenge post, Classics Circuit, dewey's read-a-thon, dream king, Education, essay review, film review, graphic novels, Halloween, meme, reading report, Sunday Salon, television review, Thoughts, Weekly Geeks

I'm very happy to finally have Book, Film, and Television reviews properly labeled.  And I think I made the right decision in putting challenge posts under a label and not putting the challenge name as a label for every book review that fits.  I'm involved with so many challenges - and I don't see that stopping - that my label cloud would eventually be obnoxious.

I would love to hear from others on what sort of labels they prefer to see on blogs as I'm not married to this list by any means.

And may I just say, yet again, that deleting, adding, and modifying labels is a painful process.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean ... I wish I had started on Wordpress!!!

    Here is how I test my labels. I try to think of an "obscure" post of my own, and try to find it by using my own labels and if I can't find it in one shot, I try to think of what to relabel it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look quite good to me. I like that you separated out your reviews, and that you didn't make labels for every challenge. I think that would get tedious, and once you finished the challenge they wouldn't be relevant anymore. I feel like labels (or in my case on Wordpress, categories) should be almost everlasting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the advice you guys! I think I'll stick with what I have for awhile and see how it goes. I very rarely use labels personally, but maybe that's because I had to many useless ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. labels...ha-ha-ha! Someday I will reorganize my blog :) Kudos to you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!