30 March 2010

Book Review: The Life O'Reilly

Title:  The Life O'Reilly
Author:  Brian Cohen

Buy  |  Borrow  |  Accept  |  Avoid

Plot Synopsis
Nick O'Reilly has just been volunteered by his firm to lead the pro-bono initiative, and he reluctantly agrees.  Soon, however, he finds himself more involved with his pro-bono case than his multimillion dollar clients.  As he works the case, he finds himself becoming involved with the client, Dawn, and her son Jordan, victims of domestic abuse.

My Thoughts
The Life O'Reilly is Cohen's debut novel.  This is the type of book that makes a reader think about her own view of life and her place in it.  Thematically, Cohen hits on familiar but relevant ideals of morality and love.  One theme clearly present in the story is that money should not be more important than humanity.  This idea is not a new one, but Cohen manages to present a fresh outlook on this idea which most claim to agree with but few follow in action.

A specific point that kept sticking with me throughout the novel:  Nick's boss is so unbelievably easy to hate.  A bit of a caricature, the boss, Wilfred J.T. Schmidt III, right away in the first chapter lets the reader know that he is a giant ass (pardon my french).  While announcing the formation of a Pro Bono Committee to counter the nefarious reputation of the firm, The Big Ass Boss says:  "This cannot...will not...and must not conflict with or contravene the interests of our clients.  They come first.  When in doubt, and in times of crisis, your loyalty is to them, not to some vagabond on the street you're attempting to procure Social Security benefits for, or whatever it is we're going to be doing."  He of course says this off the record. I loved that Cohen chose to show his disdain by suggestion that The Big Ass Boss was so indifferent to the lower classes that he didn't even know what they could possibly need with a lawyer.  He even pretends to vote against the proposed committee in some sort of lame joke.

So far in my review, I've been focusing on only one plot line in the book, but that is because I don't want to give the rest away!  I barely read the back cover of a book before reading as I'm so terrified of plot spoilers, so believe me when I say that I'm only giving you part of the story here.

Overall, the book is one which can be described with words like heartwarming, poignant, and the such not.  And while I have to admit I am not a huge fan of such books (I do not like Nicholas Sparks whether in print or on film), this book did not make me want to throw up from sappiness.

Other Reviews
If I've missed yours, let me know!

Frugal Plus; Ezine Articles; Laughing Stars;

You can also check out Brian Cohen's website.


FTC Disclosure:  This was a free copy from the author, and I'm not apologizing for it.  Now don't you guys have something better to do?  Hey, I know, you can go add my name to every Do Not Call list you have.  Thank you.

Giveaway

In the spirit of not collecting books like I'm a contestant for that Hoarders television show, I'd like to give this book away to one lucky winner!  If you are interested, email your address to eclectic.eccentric@hotmail.com.  First email I get, gets the book.  Unfortunately this contest is only open to U.S. residents as I'm going broke slowly. :)

3 comments:

  1. You crack me up! What an endorsement - you didn't throw up! I know what you mean, that sappy stuff makes me sick. Do NOT even try to manipulate my feelings, Mr. Author, or I will boycott you! I'll pass on the book. Even though I trust your judgement, I have two million of them in the queue to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this book too, and I loved your review. You say things so concisely and so well. I had forgotten about Big Ass Lawyer revealing his astonishing ignorance. Too funny! Brian Cohen isn't afraid of calling it like he sees it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy - :) I completely understand. I believe I actually own about 200 books I haven't read, and I probably have about 200 more on my wish list. I will absolutely never read all I'd like, and when I think about that too hard, I'm sad. :(

    Stephanie - Thanks! I don't know why that particular passage stood out so much to me, but even after finishing the book, it was on my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!