28 March 2010

Sunday Salon: Bring on the Greek Gods

Week's Reads

I checked out my first library book in 20 years this past week. Actually, I checked out two. While I've read the first three books in the series already, I decided to re-read the Percy Jackson series, so the first two books are now in my possession courtesy of the Public Library.  I'm still not sure how I feel about this as I adore owning books.  But my husband and my bookshelves are thrilled.

The image is from the film, but one of the reasons I'm re-reading is that I loved the movie.  My review of The Lightning Thief deals with both the book and the movie, and I reviewed Sea of Monsters partially in light of the responsibilities of a second book in a series.

I will admit it's a bit strange reading this series right now as I just finished Gods Behaving Badly which also features Greek gods.  I'll read Apollo and momentarily forget which Apollo I'm reading about - Riordan's or Phillip's.


I received the Beautiful Blogger Award from Tara at 25 Hour Books, and the Kreativ Blogger and Honest Scrap Award from Marce at Tea Time with Marce.  I already listed 7 truths about myself in the Beautiful Blogger Award, but here are three more to add for the Honest Scrap Award; I'm sort of adding some details to the original seven since some have asked for clarification:

1.  I mentioned that I have a rich fantasy life.  Seriously, I'm not joking.  I dream while driving to work with music from my iPod as a soundtrack.  I tell myself stories every night to make myself fall asleep; and by tell myself stories, I mean in my head.  Sometimes, I lay on the couch with my iPod and do nothing but dream for hours.

2.  I was not kidding when I said I hate housework.  I hate it so much I actually have a once a month cleaning lady.  I wish I could have her in once a week, but that seems a bit ridiculous as I'm pretty solidly middle class.

3. (and this is a new one)  I could eat pizza every single night for dinner and possibly also for lunch; it's a problem.

Currently Reading
I just started Myrlin A. Hermes' The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet which is described on its cover as "Shakespeare turned topsy-turvy."  I received this as part of a TLC Book Tour. I'm only about 50 pages into it as of writing this post, and I must say I'm loving it.

I've heard that it is the retelling of Hamlet and I've heard that it is a prequel to Hamlet; either way I'm delighted.  I love Shakespeare, and Hamlet - while not my favorite of his plays - is the best of his plays in my opinion.  I'm very excited to see where the story goes.

On a side note, how cool is the author's name?  Myrlin Hermes?  Sweetness.

Challenges: Link takes you to my challenge post with links to reviews
I have joined so many challenges that I may need to sequester myself away in some sort of rehab clinic.  My newest challenge is the Once Upon a Time Challenge which has me reading back-to-back books about Greek gods.

I've finished quite a few challenges already including Women UnBound, GLBT Challenge, Read the Book See the Movie, and Sci-Fi Challenge, but I think I'll just leave them up and running and continue to add to them.
 

Challenges: 100+ Reading Challenge, Reading Resolutions, 42 Challenge, Unlock Worlds, Women UnBound101 Fantasy Reading Challenge, Sookie Stackhouse Challenge, Sci-Fi Challenge, YA Reading Challenge, GLBT Challenge, Flashback Challenge, 18th and 19th Century Women Authors, Books to Read Before I Die, TBR Challenge, Rory Gilmore ProjectWorld Religions, Read the Book See the Movie, Take Another Chance, Graphic Novels Challenge, Once Upon a Time, Hogwarts Reading Challenge, Non-Fiction Five,

Big Thank You

A big thank you to CB James and Dakota who sent me an absolutely beautiful bookmark as a prize from the Read the Book, See the Movie challenge!  Not only did I get a bookmark, but the envelope itself had a gorgeous hand drawing of CB and Dakota on the back which I adore!

Giveaway News

The second round in my birthday giveaway is currently going on; entries must be made by March 31.  The first round featured Drama and let's congratulate the winners:

First Place - Jenny from Jenny Loves to Read will be receiving Hedda Gabler and Much Ado About Nothing
Second Place - Andi from Estella's Revenge will be receiving Proof and Oedipus
Third Place - Christine from Booktumbling wants to wait and grab books from the Literature Round

13 comments:

  1. I'm very curious about The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet - looking forward to your final thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've taken a book out of the library since before I graduated from college. I've *thought* about it, but I'd much rather own even if the book is used. Again, I feel like an oddball in a world of bloggers with their names on hold lists and coming home every week with piles of library loot. You make me feel less alone. Now, quit going to the library again, will ya? ;-)

    I can so relate to having a rich fantasy life, too. Sometimes I think maybe it's a bit weird that I can lay around just imagining characters and stories purely for my own enjoyment, but then, sometimes doing just that makes my life feel that much richer. In fact, I find that I get bummed out if I don't have a good story going on in my head....

    I'm quite curious about The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet too. Much to my own surprise, I re-read Hamlet this year and actually found the experience rewarding, so yes, I'd be interested to hear what you end up thinking of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think at any given moment I have at least a half dozen things checked out from the library - mostly audio books. The worst thing in the world for me would be to run out of audios to listen to, so I am always loaded up. Way to go on your bookmark! I love James and Dakota!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to the library shelves! I have at least ten or fifteen books in my library basket at any given moment.

    I SO get your hate of housework...I enjoy cooking for my family and don't mind a lit'l tidying up, but cleaning--it just won't STAY DONE and it takes away from my reading/writing time!! ;)

    And, pizza...we must be sisters in that regard!

    Enjoyed your post, happy Sunday!

    ~~

    http://mywindowswideopen.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read The Lightning Thief. I have it on my TBR. My sister was just talking about it last night too b/c she's reading the entire series for her students' book club where she teaches. I think I definitely need to read it after seeing your reviews too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Twenty years since you checked out library books. You beat me. For me, it's been awhile, too, but recently I began revisiting the library. I can remember all of my favorite libraries over the years, beginning with my first one in a country village.

    But buying and owning books consumed me for several years, and then because of the huge stacks, I had postponed library visits. But I'm now deciding I can do both.

    I wish I could have a cleaning woman, too! I had one awhile back when my house was on the market, but after it sold, I downsized and it would be ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, I forgot to put in my Salon link:

    http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunday-salon_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be looking forward to your review of: The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet!

    I found your blog through Jenny Loves to Read's "Suddenly Sunday post". I am actually the host of that weekly event and I am happy you spoke of checking it out :) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nymeth - I'm over 150 pages now into it and I'm still really enjoying it. I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

    Megan - There is nothing weird about sitting around and imagining characters! Well, at least there isn't now since I know that other people do it too!

    Sandy - I still haven't made the jump to audiobooks. I just like reading so much better than listening.

    Dana - That is exactly my problem. If I'm cleaning, I'm not reading!

    Jenny - I can definitely recommend it. I'm really enjoying the series.

    Laurel-Rain - I love owning books. I like organizing them, looking at them, re-reading them, everything. But I'm so running out of room.

    Muse - I just stopped by your blog, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't dream as much as you, but I'm right there with you on the housework and pizza. I LOVE pizza and would eat it everyday if I could. But Jenny doesn't want to be a lard butt, so I limit myself.

    Have a wonderful week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like Amy Winehouse's Rehab could be your theme song when it comes to challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to see a bit of your ipod playlists!!!

    And I think pizza is the perfect food so I see no problem eating for every meal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny Girl - Hahaha! Lard butt! Pizza is definitely part of my weight problem, but I just loooove it so much.

    softdrink - It definitely could. What a great song, what a strange lady.

    Jenners - Hmmm...maybe I should make a post about my iPod. Thank you for the validation about pizza. I agree that it is the perfect food: breads, vegetables, (fruit if you like), meats, dairy...it literally has all of the food groups in one tasty treat.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!