18 March 2010

Hogwarts Reading Challenge

I tried to resist; I mean I seriously am involved in enough challenges, but the concept was so unique I just had to join in.  Worth Reading It is hosting a Hogwarts Reading Challenge where participants are sorted into houses and compete for the House Cup.  Points are awarded for reading books that fall into specific categories.

I took the test to be sorted into a house, and - not really a surprise here - the sorting hat put me in Ravenclaw.  While I appreciate the honor and nobility of Gryffindor, the amiability and honesty of Hufflepuff, and even the ambition and cunning of Slytherin, I'm really not surprised to be placed with the nerds...

 I am now and always have been a geek.  So what wonderful categories do I get to read by December 13?

MY CURRENT POINT TOTAL:  367 (includes Summer Reading Challenge)

The Series
First, I will read the Harry Potter books themselves, earning 25 points for each one read.  This will fit in with my Flashback Challenge and my YAL Challenge, so that is just fantabulous.  But I also get to read based on the below "classes".

The Classes

Transfiguration - read any book that has trans or figure in its title, is about shape shifting, has a shape shifter in it, or is about anything having to do with changing one thing into another.

Defense Against the Dark Arts - read any book that has defence (defense), dark and/or art(s) in its title, read any book that is about self defense, war, history of war/marital arts, murder mysteries

Charms - read any book that has charm in its title, any book that deals with gives something or someone a new aspect (for example the nerdy guy become a handsome doctor)

Potions - read any book that has potion in its title, cookbooks count but you must cook at least one recipe out of the book

Astronomy - read any book that has astronomy in its title, books about planets, stars, etc, sci-fi

History of Magic - read any book that has history or magic in its title, books about magic, witches, etc

Herbology - read any book that has herb in its title, again cookbooks count and again you must cook at least one recipe out of the book

Arithmancy - read any book that has arithmancy in its title, any book with a number in its title, any book that deal with numbers or math

Ancient Runes - read any book that has ancient or runes in its title, books about historical places like the pyramids, Stonehenge, great wall of china, or any book about symbols

Divination - read any book that has divine in its title, any book about psychics or psychic abilities, tarot reading etc

Care of Magical Creatures - read any book that has magical or creatures in its title, about supernatural beings

Muggle Studies - nearly any book works here, what better why to understand Muggle than to read what they read

How to list your books and keep track of points:
When you copy this post onto your blog just list the book you read for the challenge under the subject to which it fits. Please include the name of the book/author and the the date you finished reading it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read 3 books from any summer reading list = 60 points
Each extra reading list book = 15 pts each
One word match to Hogwarts Reading List = 25 pts
Extra:


The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba on Saint Ignatius High School list extra for matching Men Who Love Dragons too Much

The New Annotated Dracula by Bram Stoker and Leslie K. Klinger on the Lahser High School summer reading list, extra for matching New Theory of Numerology
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9 comments:

  1. I like how pretty much any book we read will count towards this! For Muggle Studies if nothing else. Ravenclaw's going to win the House Cup!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this is crazy! As in, crazy fun! I'm pretty intrigued...I doubt I will sign up because I am totally overloaded, but I LOVE the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - We are most definitely going to kick some serious wizard butt!

    Sandy - Come on....join us...you know you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting challenge, but I have no business entering another challenge. Good luck and I'll live vicariously through you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the creativity of this challenge. I'll be curious to see how all you guys participating do with your classes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny Girl - I had no business joining another challenge either, but I just can't resist.

    Kristen - I'm excited to find books to fit some of the more esoteric challenges. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so fun! I just seen this on your blog and I wish I would have seen it sooner! This si so up my alley! I have seen where Amanda (Zen Leaf) has a Hogwart class next to her reviews but I thought that was just her thing... I had no idea there was a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila - I bet you could join now and back log your books since the start of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi just letting you know that the Hogwarts Reading Challenge 2011 is up. There are more twists for those who do the mini challenges. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!