06 April 2010

Film Review: Big Fish

Big Fish is a film based on a novel of the same name by Daniel Wallace. I reviewed the book back in October, and I'm reusing some of the words from that review here as I felt that while the movie made some dramatic changes, the overall feel of the film was largely similar to that of the book.

As his father dies, William listens and remembers his father's many stories of a life lived big, and through these stories, he comes to terms with a father with a big imagination.

Many children see their parents as being larger than life, but in William Bloom's case, this is true. His father's stories ring of myth, confrontations with giants and possessive lovers, beautiful maidens and hidden love, witchy women with glass eyes. Between his stories, his long absences, and his jokes, Edward has not been a normal father. And yet the legacy of storytelling has clearly been passed down as William revisits and revises the myth of his father's death.  Stories are powerful, and Edward clearly understands this. He suggests that truth is not about fact, that stories are metaphors which reveal a greater truth than the reality of a situation can translate.

I actually cried. No lie people, and while you'll have to take my word for it, I'm not a crying kind of girl.  The Notebook, Titanic, I have seen girls sob to these films, while my face was stuck in a grimace of disbelief and sappy nausea.  But I had tears for this one.

My favorite scene in the film has Edward in his pajamas submerged in his bathtub.  Jenny, his wife, comes in and gets in the tub with him dress and all (you can actually see this in the image I've included).  While the book certainly held a great deal more about their relationship than the film offered, this scene told viewers everything they  needed to know about the love between these two people.

I'm not sure if it's the time in between reading the book and the movie or if I'm just getting more complacent about my adaptations, but I feel I adored the movie just as I did the book.  Tim Burton did a wonderful job capturing the tone of the book and created a beautiful film. Then again, how perfect is Burton for a movie about the blending of fantasy and reality?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Challenges: Read the Book, See the Movie

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE this movie. So much so, that while I've read every other Daniel Wallace book (and loved them), I'm afraid to read Big Fish, in case it doesn't live up to the movie. Isn't that weird?! I'm sure I'll work up the courage eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Big Fish a couple of years ago, and I've meant to watch the film version ever since! We actually had it on our DVR for ages, so I have no idea why I didn't get to finish watching it. Burton would be the perfect director for this one, though. The limited bits I've seen were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would trust Burton to just about any script. But believe it or not, I've not seen this film!!!! I hang my head in shame. I will make sure I get it in the Netflix Q pronto!!! (I'm not a crier either, although there have been some to get me, so we will see what this does to me.)

    I took my daughter and her friend to see The Last Song yesterday, and there was some woman in the back making a total fool of herself...I was embarassed for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this movie. The casting was perfect. I really liked the book too, but I thought it was fitting that the movie was more fantastical than the book. Both are wonderful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Yes yes yes yes yes. This is one of my favourite movies ever, and I love it every bit as much as I do the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, I just LOVE the picture collage you put together.

    I didn't like the movie Big Fish as much as I'd expected to. I don't know why I didn't connect with it. Maybe having read the book would've helped. But yes, that bathtub scene was great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this movie awhile ago, and just loved it! I haven't yet read the book, but I may have to try it. I loved the picture mosaic that you put together for this review, and I think you did an amazing job with the review itself. It was such a beautiful and heartfelt movie. I think I need to watch it again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely ADORE this film. I'm a huuuge Burton fan, and Ewan McGregor fan (naturally) and this story was just so wonderful. I'm a fairy tale buff too, so I just loved the idea of all those stories being told and how they patched together.

    The book is on my reading list, and while I've heard elsewhere that it's not as good as the film, I'm glad you say that it can produce a similar 'feel'. Look forward to reading it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know it was a Burton film, although I should've guessed. The first time I watched it I was horribly confused, although that was because we missed the first 1/2 hour or so. I've since managed to watch the whole thing, but never from beginning to end. Not a recommended way to watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eva - I definitely think you should read it; it's a wonderful book!

    Andi - Definitely watch the movie. I was a bit nervous about it, but it was so good.

    Sandy - Burton=Awesome. And oh do I feel you about people bawling in the theatre. I get very annoyed.

    Avid Reader - I agree! Fantastical is a great word for both book and film in my opinion.

    Nymeth - Exactly! I can't believe it took me so long to read and watch this!

    Stephanie - Ah, I wish I could take credit but I found the collage online. :) And you should definitely read the book.

    Zibilee - I think Big Fish is definitely a re-readable kind of book.

    Bethany - I think everyone should read it, especially if you liked the movie.

    softdrink - Missing the first part of the movie could definitely make the rest confusing!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!