08 April 2010

I Think I Love My Students...

Students are, in my opinion, remarkably like one's children.  They tick you off to no end, you don't understand why they just won't listen, you are 100% positive you know best (and most of the time you do); they are constantly trying to pull one over on you or get away with something; you have to sacrifice personal time to take care of their needs; they need constant validation and approval but they act like they don't need or want either;  they are convinced you are "out of touch" or "just don't understand";

and every now and again, they do something so unbelievable, so creative or kind or intelligent that you immediately forget every negative and smile in pride and hope for the future.

I think I love my students....today....
....
....we may go back to frustration tomorrow...

10 comments:

  1. I just love your passion for teaching :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What grade do you teach again? I'm thinking college...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a story here...I'd love to hear it! I've never taught officially, but I certainly can relate with having kids. If I am away from them even for a couple of days, my heart hurts. But at times they drive me to the bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone - I do teach college, freshman and sophomore level. The story in sort of short: Today, a group of film students presented on War Films, and for the first time the students actually thought to tell us about which war films have one awards and what actors are well known for roles in war films. After five years of student presentations, something new!

    Then in my Lit course, students presented their projects on Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone. The projects were created by the students. One group did a talk show, one made Trivial Pursuit with Moonstone questions, one rewrote it for middle school children, and one group did a rap video. It was awesome!

    I just love it when they get creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh those presentations do sound great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, love your post!! Not to mention so much truth within it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to all the of above. Couldn't have written it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They also make great material for stories. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just remember this on the "not so good" days.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!