04 April 2010

Sunday Salon: Five More Days Until...

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon!  I'm so excited my little geek heart may just burst with the anticipation.  Last October was my first readathon and I adored it.  By the end of the 'thon, I had read for 14 hours and 8 minutes and finished 8 books. I hosted 1 mini-challenge, completed 9 mini-challenges, and left 150 comments on others' blogs for a total of 8 hours and 11 minutes blogging.  I suppose for the remaining 1 hour and 41 minutes I was using the restroom, making food, etc.  Yeah, I know, I was anal about tracking my time to the point of ridiculousness.  I bet I do the same this time around though; it's just fun for me.

Just like in October, I'm signed up to be a reader, cheerleader, and mini-challenge host.  I like the variety and really the cheerleading is something I would do anyways so why not make it official.

One thing I haven't done this time around is set aside a pile of books to read, then mull over it for days, change it around, remove a book, add a book, stare at it some more, etc.  Hence, I am feeling very unprepared.  Yes, I realize I have five whole days to figure out what I'm going to read...  But here's a starting line up:

Incognegro - A graphic novel touted as "a page-turning mystery and a disturbing exploration of race and self-image in America, masterfully illustrated with rich period detail".  The story is about African-American journalists from the north who head south to expose racism.  These journalists are so light skinned they can pass for white: hence the name "incognegro".  One journalist, however, must use his blending skills back in Harlem to help his brother.

The Alcoholic - A graphic novel from Jonathan Ames about his alter-ego's slide into alcoholism and his subsequent difficulties navigating the perils of career and relationships with such a heavy burden.

The Surrogates - A graphic novel set in 2054 featuring a world where people live their lives by inhabiting the minds and bodies of androids. The villain in the novel is attempting to thwart humanities dependence on their surrogates, and detective Harvey Greer (I believe the protagonist) doesn't know what to believe.

The Book of the Unknown - A collection of stories by Jonathan Keats that "re-imagines Jewish folklore in his collection of stories about the Talmudic idea of the Lamedh-Vov, 36 righteous souls who must exist at all times in order for humanity, and the world, to sustain itself".

From Dead to Worse - I have taken an over long Sookie break and now I think I'd like to start up again and hopefully finish the series this month.  Hmm...does anyone know how many Sookie books there are and whether or not more are coming out?  I'm too lazy to look right now.

Beastly - A retelling of beauty and the beast by Alex Flinn, the story is set in modern New York City.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out as the way I understand it, there are some pretty substantive changes to the original story - as there has to be.

I have a ton of other books laying around waiting to be read, so I certainly won't be without options.  I'm also thinking I might re-read some of the Harry Potter books as that was one of my goals this year.  Plus a series just makes for good reading during a readathon.  I'd love to go out and buy the remaining Cirque du Freak books - I've read 7 or 8 of them - but I'm really trying not to buy books when I have so many at home I haven't read yet.

So are you guys participating and what are you reading?  Any suggestions on what I should read?

16 comments:

  1. You know, I was saving Hugo Cabret for the readathon, but that didn't work out so well as I finished it last night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've found out about the readathon too late! Also, wouldn't it be on a week day? That's just awkward because I work fulltime!

    I'd love to do a readathon sometime, better still if I can raise some money for charity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to everyone's read-a-thon posts but I am not going to be able to participate this time. I have a wedding shower next weekend plus we're moving!! Otherwise, I would be excited to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are 9 Sookie books, with a 10th coming out in May.

    I think Amanda's suggestion is great - I loved Hugo Cabret, and it doesn't take long at all.

    I am not participating in the readathon - my eyes just aren't up to all that activity! But I wish you the best of luck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you keep track of your time like you do. I wish I did. Last read-a-thon I read when I could but this year D is doing a garage sale during the day so I won't be bothered! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good! I'm not sure that I'll be able to participate (once again). But I wanted to let you know I went out and bought my first graphic novel -- Fables! I totally got the recommendation from you. So if I like it I'll have to look to you for other graphic novel recommendations! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to you! I think deciding what to read is half the fun. I think I will take a break from it this year but I will probably be reading a stack unofficially anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda - Yay for Hugo! I really enjoyed that one.

    Bethany - That stinks if it's somehow on a weekday for you!

    Lola - Wow, moving and a wedding shower in one weekend. Yikes!

    Rhapsody - Thanks for the info! And Hugo Cabret is wonderful isn't it?

    Christina - I don't know why I'm so anal retentive about keeping track of my time. But it works for me!

    Jenny - Yay for Fables! If you like it, you should try out Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series; it's another one I really like. And Persepolis, Maus, and Watchmen!

    Ti - I agree. I love figuring out what I'm going to read almost as much as I love reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, my kids and I will be participating for the first time this year. And I didn't have Hugo Cabret on my list, but have it in the house. Maybe I'll add it to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This sounds like so much fun. :) I'll have to get in on the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You love the readathon
    Yes you do
    So I wrote a cheer
    Just for you!

    Obviously, I have some work to do before Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have a great time during the read-a-thon! I won't be reading this time, but it will be my first time as a cheerleader. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incognegro sounds so good! Well, they all do to be honest. I hope you have a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks like you have a great plan for read-a-thon. I'll be cheering and reading this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandy - I loved Hugo Cabret! And if you know anything about Georges Melies, it makes it even better!

    Jamie - I loved the readathon and would recommend it to anyone!

    softdrink - I love your cheers!

    Nymeth - I can't wait to read Incognegro. I'm thinking it might be an option for my Intro to Lit class.

    Serena - Yay for the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, you have a lot of experience so I guess you know what to do!! : )

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!