01 May 2010

April Movies


Big Fish
Based on a novel of the same name by Daniel Wallace, Big Fish is a moving film about the power and necessity of stories.  As a young boy struggles to make sense of his father's life, he comes to realize that truth and fiction are not mutually exclusive.  My review of the book.  My full review of the movie.

Clash of the Titans
I love Greek mythology, so I was bound to love the movie.  But where were the freaking Titans?  Definite misnomer. I've heard that Medusa and the Kraken are Titans, but that seems disputable, and even if they are/were, the story doesn't exactly revolve around them.  As Brandon said, however, Clash of the Humans and the Olympians was probably too wordy for a title. I felt the 3D was quite unnecessary, and from what I've read, the film is actually better in 2D as that is how it was filmed.  Apparently, the 3D was an afterthought.

Cirque du Freak
This film, encompassing the first three books in Darren Shan's 12 book series, received negative reviews, but I must admit I enjoyed it.  I'm not sure how much reading the books affected my experience.  My full review of the movie.

Year One
Jack Black and Michael Cera are funny.  The movie, not so much.  It had it's moment, and I enjoyed the hilarity of the situation, but in the end, I could take it or leave it.

Pan's Labyrinth
One of the best movies of my generation, Pan's Labyrinth is an artful blend of extraordinary storytelling and meaningful cinematography. I have started writing about seven sentences now to go here, but I've realized that I may have to write a full review. Until then, suffice it to say you should most definitely go watch this film.

Four Brothers
Primarily an ultra-violent film focused on vigilante justice, Four Brothers still manages to have heart.  The easy affinity between the four main characters - and the subsequent understanding of their characters' love for each other - really made the film in my opinion.  And I'll admit it, I have no shame about it, I really do enjoy gun-wielding, fists-flying, bad-ass films.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know Big Fish was based on a book. I loved the movie. I also agree that Pan's Lybarinth is a wonderful movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do write a full review of Pan's Labyrinth! It's one of my favourite films, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hope you'll do a full review of Pan's Labyrinth. My daughter's watched it, and it sounds spectacular, though heartbreaking. We also watched another movie by the same director -- I think it was called The Orphanage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pan's Labyrinth is simply amazing. I snuck out by myself to see it at the theater, then rented it on Netflix because I thought my husband wouldn't live a completely fulfilled life if he didn't see it. I also added Big Fish to my Q. I just never got around to seeing it but you convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Big Fish when I saw it a couple of years ago, and just learned that it was a book first recently. I really need to read it.

    I was also looking forward to seeing Clash of the Titans, but have heard terrible things from many people. What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always meant to see Pan's Labyrinth but have never done it yet.

    And what is the deal with all this 3D stuff? It seems like EVERY movie has it now ... they've gone overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. C.B. - I would definitely read the book. Big Fish is a wonderful story in both formats.

    Nymeth - It is such a great film, isn't it? So beautiful.

    Steph - I haven't seen anything else by del Toro, but I definitely plan on it. Was The Orphanage good?

    Sandy - Pan's Lab is just awesome. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Big Fish.

    Peachy - Definitely read it!

    Jenners - Ack! Go see Pan's Labyrinth right now! I command you! The 3D stuff is annoying me. Most of the time I find it extremely unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed Four Brothers. I saw Clash of the Titans in 2D and thought it was okay. Just okay.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!