02 May 2010

Sunday Salon: BiPping and Update

The Blog Improvement Project task in April challenged me to write quite the variety of posts.  I did not manage all 14 post types, but I am pretty proud of the 10 that got posted.

The short post was not a problem as I had a wonderful day where I was pretty sure I loved my students, but the long post gave me some difficulty.  I wrote about the strange line between plagiarism and creativity, and while I didn't struggle to find the words, I believe I need more thinking on the subject. For my collation post, I chose another topic that fascinates me, critical thinking, and posted some videos on the subject.

My opinion post was a little snarky as I'm just so tired of research, time and money being spent on the unnecessary.  And speaking of research, if you are interested in a rather formulaic but still useful way to write persuasive papers, check out my How To post.  My own personal research of the month was part of my poll post where I asked people what made for a great read.

I had a lot of fun with the link post which honestly surprised me as the amount of work is so intense.  It was fun to track down some of my favorite online reading and share it with others though.

I ran back to the world of books for my list post, discussing books that I wish had more sequels or something to continue the story. A review post was also required and I certainly wrote a ton of those this month including:

Coraline: the graphic novel by Neil Gaiman
Glengarry Glen Ross by David Mamet
Wit by Margaret Edson
Deogratias: A Tale of Rwanda by J.P. Stassen
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
The Eternal Smile by Gene Luen Yang and Derek Kirk Kim
The Awakening by Kate Chopin
The Alcoholic by Jonathan Ames
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
The Surrogates by Robert Venditti
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Either You're In or You're In the Way by Noah and Logan Miller

The last BiP post made was the personal post, a little whine about being sick.  The flu knocked me on my patootie for four and a half days - no reading at all at all.

What I did get done while being sick is an obscene quantity of television watching.  Specifically, I made it through three seasons of Supernatural, a show I now absolutely adore.
I will say that if you have the chance, watching a show in such a short amount of time is both exhilarating and odd.  I've adored it as it's like watching one obnoxiously long movie, and yet I feel I should watch it again at a slower pace if I want to truly appreciate the show.

Well that's more my month recap than my week recap, but hey I've missed a Sunday Salon or two.  So how are the rest of you doing?

10 comments:

  1. Yes, linking is pretty labor-intensive isn't it? I dread my challenge recaps for that very reason! I'd say you did a great job of meeting your goals here. I think BIP is onto something though. I like to read posts that are more than just reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're feeling better! 4 and a half days is a long time to be sick. I am very impressed with how well you did with BIP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have been sick, but watching Supernatural definitely makes up for it! It's one of my favorite shows! You did great for last month's BIP activity! I missed it last month so I think I will give the activity a try in May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you did great with the BIP challenge this month! I didn't do any... I think it overwhelmed me too much this month, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had fun checking out your posts. You did an amazing job!

    I'm afraid I did not even manage a review post this month :(

    A short post was the hardest for me... Long post? No problem ;) But my blogposts are definitely WAY more superficial than yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about watching a lot of a season at once. My husband and I have been doing that with Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did rock this paticular project. And I do hate link posts too .... they take so much time. I like when I can just write freely and not worry about remembering links or where something was or checking my facts ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandy - Yep, linking is kind of a pita. Non-review posts are a catch-22 for me. I either love them or hate them.

    Lola - I'm pretty much human again. Thank heavens!

    Vasilly - I want to do very naughty things to Dean.....

    Jenny - It was a bit overwhelming but it was kind of fun to do.

    Gnoe - Nonsense! Your posts are not superficial!

    Alyce - Doctor Who! Yay! And what a ton and ton of seasons to watch!

    Jenners - Thanks! I agree completely. I'm a lazy blogger. What can I say? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you're doing really well with the BiP, even if you claim you are both lazy and snarky! I don't often do opinion or personal posts, but I enjoy reading them on other people's blogs (unless they are really offensive). Particularly the snarky ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aarti - I'm definitely trying to do well with BiP! And I agree...snarky is so fun to read.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!