09 May 2010

Sunday Salon: Thinking to No End


I love book blogs, not only for the wonderful book reviews that have me adding to a TBR pile that rivals a library catalog, but also for the thought provoking posts you wonderful people write.  Lately I've been stuck in a thinking rut, continuously contemplating the issues without coming to any real decisions or opinions.  Don't get me wrong. This does not bother me at all.  I'm perfectly happy with the abstract and indefinite, and I've even been known to willingly hold two contradicting opinions in my head simultaneously without going any crazier than I already am.

Today I thought I would share with you some of the posts that have me sitting in a quiet place with a meditative (probably rather idiotic) expression on my face.

Steph from Steph Su Reads wrote a great post about the validity of teaching YAL in the classroom way back in December, and I still find myself returning to the post and thinking the merits of the canon v. contemporary YAL.

Aimee at my fluttering heart is my go-to girl for the artistic and back in November, she put up a post about Agnieszka Szuba, and I fell in love.  Two of my favorites:

Ana over at things mean a lot always gets me thinking, and last Sunday I found myself really intrigued by her post on the attitudes of non-readers towards readers and the tendency for the more overachieving readers to feel embarrassed by the amount of time spent reading - or at least loathe to admit it due to stereotypes.

Rebecca at Lost in Books, J.C. at The Biblio Blogazine, Pam at bookalicio.us, and C.B. at Ready When You Are all responded to a post made by Jackie at Farm Lane Books.  The original post called attention to distinctions between American and British bloggers which painted Americans in a far from positive light. The fall out from the original post actually inspired Jackie to write an apology post.  The whole shebang had me thinking about nationalism, stereotypes, culpability, snarkiness, and forgiveness.

Shellie at Layers of Thought turned me on to an article about Why Men Don't Read Books that I found especially intriguing.  I'm always surprised by the small number of males in my Introduction to Literature courses.  Not Nessie at Today's Adventure posted about a related issue, asking if guys have book blogs.

Speaking of Today's Adventure, there is also an intriguing post up about Sex in Teen Lit that had me thinking. More sex stuff happened over at Life with a Little One and More where Jenners has been reading her childhood diary to us lately, and this last post had me cracking up and thinking hard. Her post on the sexual awakening of her childhood self and the struggles with religion that caused was unbelievably honest.

I could keep going.  So many of your posts delight me that making a list like this is downright painful - like choosing your favorite child or something.  And as you can see, I'm certainly not limiting myself to just the last week's posts!

So any thought-provoking posts you think I should read?

12 comments:

  1. I think you hit most of them, at least the ones I read. I am so bad at coming up with thought-provoking posts. It really makes me wonder if I killed too many brain cells in college, or if I am really just a dumb blonde.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link above. And now I'm off to read several of the other posts you mention...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no you don't! Here you are tempting me to read even more blogs than I already too. Get thee behind me Satan, as Grandma used to say. ;-)

    Oh, and I have a quote for you, one of my favorites:

    "the test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." (F. Scott Fitzgerald)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading other book blogs too for all the new ideas and insight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lord ... I did not expect to see my post in this collection of rather thought-provoking and serious posts that made me want to read all of them. (Too many blogs ... not enough time.)

    But thank you for making it sound much more sophisticated than it actually is. (And we both know they won't remember anything after seeing the photo at the bottom. HAHA!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting thing on Farm Lane Books. I'm a UK blogger (though I'm Scottish and not British, you understand) and I'm finding it an exciting rarity to come across a UK blog! But I wouldn't say there's a huge difference between UK or US blogs because that's just a silly thing to say. Also, I'm obviously going to find more US than UK blogs because there are more US than UK people!

    As for men not reading books. Nup. The majority of people on my literature MA were men. I think there are more women that openly read books because there are so many more books marketed FOR them. Ie, silly romances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy - I think most of my brain cells have leaked out of my head due to complacency and happiness. :)

    C.B. - I hope you enjoy them.

    Steph - Thanks for the quote! That made me feel much better. Now go off and read some more blogs!

    Lola - That's exactly why my GR is freaking out.

    Jenners - Your posts are always thought provoking! And sophisticated!

    Bethany - I think you're right that books are marketed towards women rather than men. It's sort of a chicken and egg thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am such a neighborhood geek, everyone knows it.

    I'm always reading 3 or 4 books at a time. And I lose sleep over my reading. And I have fines at the library because of my reading. And sometimes I can't wait to get the kids to bed so I can do my reading.

    Yeah. I need help.

    That's why I come here, b/c here , I feel kinda normal.

    Please stop over later today. I'm getting my awards lined up for my latest blog discoveries that are just so out of this world. Which would mean, you.

    Thank you for this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the mention! I love your other links as well, especially the one from Things Mean a Lot. I have definitely started to become evasive about my reading habits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have provided so many great links. I'm off to explore now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks my dear for linking that article and putting my name to it... lol

    Darn those pictures are gorgeous...

    I am so jealous of you going to BEA - have a blast and I am hoping for a brilliant update about it so I can live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Empress - Book and reading obsessions are fully supported here!

    NotNessie - You're welcome. It can be difficult to talk about in the real world.

    Kathleen - I hope you enjoyed reading the links!

    Shellie - Not a problem at all. I love those pictures too. I wish you were going to BEA.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!