26 June 2010

Movie Review: Weekend at Bernie's

Title: Weekend at Bernie's
Director: Ted Kotcheff
Starring: Andrew McCarthy, Jonathan Silverman, Terry Kiser
Release: July 5, 1989
Country: America
Genre: Comedy
Rating: PG-13
First Viewing: Probably sometime in 89 or 90
Re-Viewing: May 30, 2009


The Short and Sweet of It
After finding an accounting error, two regular guys are invited to spend a weekend at their boss's beach house. Unfortunately, the boss is dead, but what's a little death when there's fun to be had?  Sweet.

A Bit of a Ramble
Weekend at Bernie's should be a gigantic, stomach-pinkening belly flop. What is funny about two guys playing with a dead body? It should be at worst creepy and at best unbelievable and ridiculous. But what can I say? I enjoyed this over-the-top comedy of errors. It's completely tacky: Pretending a dead guy is still alive so that you can enjoy his beach house parties and pick up girls is a horrifying thought, entirely self-serving, but McCarthy and Silverman manage to make it seem cute and funny.

The film is really bumped up a notch, in my opinion, by the dead guy, Lomax, played by Terry Kiser. This is one awesome corpse. Kiser really finds a way to position his body so that Lomax looks simultaneously dead and expressive. Lomax is an active corpse too as he parties, skis, and spends some quality time with his girlfriend. And he does it all with this perfect, subdued naughty smirk.

Yes there are plot holes, overly dramatic acting, unbelievable events, and the such not. But who cares?

13 comments:

  1. I agree, there are a million reasons why this movie shouldn't work but it does. It isn't my favorite comedy, but I will always stop and watch it if I see it on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and I used to LOVE this movie, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this movie.... truly who thought to make this? Yet I too laughed along with the whole thing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Weekend at Bernie's, a total comedy classic! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband loved this movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy - The combination of all these ridiculous things just works for this movie.

    Melissa - Absolutely! An 80s classic, but a classic nevertheless.

    Jenny - Used to? You should watch it again to reaffirm your love.

    Sheila - It was consistently funny even when ridiculous.

    Megan - Definitely a classic! There's something really appealing about this movie.

    Jenners - What?!?! You don't?!? Your husband has great taste in movies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED this movie when I was a kid! We'd watch it all the time. Did you see the sequel, too? Have you seen Death Becomes Her? Also good ones ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now there's a sentence you don't see every day: "This is one awesome corpse."

    Maybe I'll give this movie a go. Am I too old to think a young Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman are hot???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aarti - I can't really remember the sequel, but I think I did see it. And Death Becomes Her = hilarious!

    Stephanie - Absolutely not! They are both - especially in this film - extremely cute and doable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love this movie a ridiculous amount. It seems like I watched it every weekend growing up. I giggle myself silly whenever they're running down the boardwalk with him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen this in years, but I loved it!
    Oh, and Jason and I watched Bill & Ted's over the weekend. Just as much fun as I remembered :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andi - The movie is funny; there's just no two ways about it.

    Stacy - Bill and Ted is another hilarious movie!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!