06 June 2010

Sunday Salon: It was like the best book ever....

Good morning!  Since my last Sunday Salon much wonderfulness has happened. Most importantly, I was able to attend the BEA and Book Blogger Convention in New York City.  Meeting so many book lovers, book bloggers, and book addicts (probably my category) was exciting. It also did wonders for me by completely justifying my obsession with books.  Everyone enabled and even encouraged my excessive book collecting - I ended up shipping 103 books home - and I couldn't help but laugh when a few of us got into a conversation about how we were missing our alone time and our reading time. Such solitary figures we are.

At dinner Friday night, Care from Care's Online Book Club asked a bunch of us what our favorite read of the year was so far.  I have to admit to completely blanking.  My brain was so befuddled with the excitement and energy of BEA I couldn't remember what books I had read this year.  But a quick look through my list when I got home had a few books standing out.

First and foremost, Sarah Waters' Fingersmith tops the list.  Both the book and the film kept me entertained and thinking, and I can't express enough how much I enjoyed this subtle love story. The characters were artfully constructed, and even months after reading the story, I can still vividly call up those characters in my mind.  If you have not yet read this book, run out and find yourself a copy right now.  No seriously, go out and get a copy. I'll wait....

Other 2010 reads that stand out are The Lunatic, the Lover, and the Poet by Myrlin A. Hermes, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and Badass by Ben Thompson.  I've always been terrible at picking just one favorite.

Right now I'm reading two books - very very unlike me - Trickster and Matched, both BEA books.  Amy from Amy Reads, Alix from Heetr, and I are trying to do joint/simultaneous reviews of the books we all picked up.  Amy and I both posted reviews of Boy Meets Boy earlier this week.  Tuesday, all three of us will be posting reviews of Matched, and then on Thursday, Amy will be reviewing the first 10 stories of Trickster and I will be reviewing the last ten.  If anyone else would like to get in our geeky fun, shoot me an email at eclectic.eccentric[at]hotmail.com!  We'd love to have you join us.

Well I'm off to do more reading.  Hopefully by the pool although rain may be something of a problem...

18 comments:

  1. Fingersmith is an excellent choice! I'm not ignoring the others because I think they're bad; it's that the only one I've read was the Wilde and too long ago to comment properly :P

    I love the way you and Amy are planing to review Trickster, and I look forward to reading the final result :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love joint reviews and simultaneous reviews - really it would be fun to have more of them. I am so glad you all decided to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingersmith is something I've been wanting to read for a while. I've been wanting to read everything by this author, really.

    My daughter and I picked up the movie at the library recently. Unfortunately, it didn't have subtitles. Both Sarah and I have mild auditory processing disorder, and we need subtitles, especially when there are foreign accents. So we didn't watch it. I was bummed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nymeth - Fingersmith is such a wonderful story.

    Rhapsody - I have never done either one before, but I'm really enjoying it. It's interesting to write your review and wonder what the other person is writing in theirs.

    Stephanie - You should definitely read it! That's too bad about the movie as it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This summer, I WILL read Fingersmith. I will. After a year of saying I will. This time, I really will.

    My favorites this year have been Germinal and Little Children. Both fantastic books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to read Fingersmith or any other Sarah Waters book. I'm planning to do so this year, truly ;).

    I love the idea of reviewing a short story collection together like you're doing with Amy later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to join in but I try not to post reviews until a week before the book comes out :( Sounds fun I can't wait to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda - That's too funny as I have Germinal on my summer reading pile!

    Iris - If you have any ideas for the short story joint review, let me know.

    Pam - I'm too impatient to do that I think. It's hard for me to wait for a review to post. Ideally the review would post on the same day I finished the book; things are getting too complicated for that though! We should figure out one or two books we both have and I'll let you tell me when to post. Email me if you are interested. Perhaps for Annexed, Beautiful Darkness, or Hunger - I know we both have those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't help joking with about half the people I met at any number of receptions and social activities how terribly ironic it all was that it seemed like all of the world's bookish introverts were suddenly in a room and expected to mingle and make a reasonable attempt at small talk when, really, we all just wanted to slink off to our corners to read our books. LOL.

    I'm sure I've got a copy of Fingersmith lying neglected on my shelves somewhere. I'm definitely going to need to get to that, I suppose. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh looking forward to your reviews of Matched! I want to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Megan - Exactly! I have to admit it was nice to meet other people like me though. And you should definitely read Fingersmith!

    Jenny - I finished it today, and I'm still developing my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  12. How is it possible that I haven't heard of Fingersmith? I'll have to look for this one.

    Now you have me thinking about my best book of the year so far ... probably The Financial Lives of the Poets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa - I think Fingersmith is a must-read. I've not picked up FL of Poets yet, but it does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 103 books!!! YIKERS! I have GOT to go next year! That is a year's worth of reading!!!

    And I agree with you 100% on "Fingersmith."

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had Fingersmith on my list forever. And my best friend just told me Friday that I had to read Dorian Gray - so it went on the list, too. Glad you had so much fun at BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i would be in loads of trouble if i brought home 103 books! haha.

    i have Fingersmith on its way to me right now and i'm really looking forward to it. i keep hearing amazing things.

    i don't know that i could pick a favorite from what i've read this year. it would probably be between The Book Thief and If I Stay, but there are so many that were so good that it's not fair having to narrow it down like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Soemone at BEA asked me what I had been reading lately, and I totally blanked, too. Luckily, someone else came up and the conversation moved in a different direction. This is why I blog! So I have a record of what I've read. Obviously, I need to carry a cheat sheet around with me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jill - Isn't it funny how the mind can just go completely empty? And ditto on the cheat sheet.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!