24 June 2010

Weekly Geeks: Me and My Books

Weekly Geeks offers bookish blog-writing prompts every Saturday, and while I don't participate consistently, I do love the wonderful questions posed this week:

"So this week, I am curious about those gigantic TBR piles which readers tend to accumulate. Please share with us your habits, tendencies or obsessions when it comes to hoarding behavior.
  • Post a photo (or two or three) of your books to-be-read
  • Share your buying or book accumulating habits - how bad of a problem do YOU have?!?!?
  • Do you keep all the books you've read, or do you give them away or sell them?
  • Can you walk past a bookstore and not go in? If you go in, do you impulsively purchase?

Anyone who has read this blog knows that I am an awful hoarder of books, and that my home collection borders on the obsessive.  In the year since those pictures were taken, the library has changed. For example, a little over 100 books are on the floor in front of the above shelves (from BEA); and about 30 books are piled on the center shelves from my birthday book-acquiring extravaganza. I did manage to get rid of a few books though.  About half of the guilty pleasures were donated to my local library, and right now I have about 100 books set to go into my garage sale next weekend.

As for unread books - the infamous TBR pile - I refuse to keep those books separate from the already-read books, in part because seeing those 535 books in a pile together would just freak me out.  I am determined to make some serious headway in my unread books this year, especially after the major accumulation from BEA and BBC. I should be pretty set on books until at least Christmas.  Actually I should be set for a few years, but I'm hoping I can hold out until I can receive books as presents.

No matter if we are talking about read or unread books, I like to keep them.  I like to play with them, organizing and reorganizing, logging and listing, opening them, smelling them, fanning those beautiful pages...is it getting hot in here or is it just me?

Well, you get the picture. Now if you'll excuse me. I'm going to go take a cold shower...Whew!

15 comments:

  1. Hee hee. I sorta know how that feels. Although I do keep my unread pile separate, and yes it does freak me out. But yet I still keep buying them, accepting them, signing up for giveaways. There are too many good new ones that I must have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Our system of organization is so weird because we have shelves for each of us and then a "both of us" shelf, so some of my TBR is on a separate shelf for me, and some is mixed into that middle shelf. My goal is to try to get at least 45 books read by the time my kids go back to school. We might be moving at some point in the future and I must get rid of stuff!

    One of my commenters told me she has about 7000 books in her home (I think that was Jeanne), back when I posted about culling. That's even crazier than your hoarding!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty! I love all your books, and am awful jealous of your incredible shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I had to get part of my TBR out of the house because 1) didn't have enough room and 2) it was overwhelming to me. Now that I've put some stuff in storage and streamlined, I can choose my next book much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could spend days at your house just going through all your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy - There is no temptation like that of a new book. I love buying them. Too much obviously.

    Amanda - 7000! Holy crapola. That's insane. And I don't think I can ever move with all of these books. I'd need a freaking trailer just for them.

    Amy - It took me two years to convince the husband that the shelves were necessary. I had to sort of ease him in to it. :)

    Andi - I've been thinking about getting rid of some of my TBR books, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

    Stephanie - Anytime you want to come over you are more than welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. I'd love to have shelves like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to see someone else has it as bad as I do. I have a terrible time getting rid of books, even those I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shelves...Jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Trisha--you make me feel a little bit better. :) I'm trying to cull my shelves but all I have to do is look at these pictures and realize what a baby collection I have (maybe 650 total...including the collector books I will never read because to touch them they'd fall apart). I don't intermingle my read and to be read books, though (well they are now since I haven't organized from the move yet).

    Love the tractors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill - I adore my shelves even as I pine for more. I have so many spread out over the house, and I'd love love love to have a room full of shelves where all my books could go...*lost to daydream*

    Kathy - Yep, even books I don't really like manage to stay on the shelves. I just can't seem to get rid of books easily.

    Melissa - :) Thanks. I love my shelves too.

    Stephanie - Thanks! Isn't it sad that I need more?

    Trish - Aw, your library is still growing! No need to get rid of any yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the stacks! What an awesome display of books. I love to be surrounded by books and even as I type from my reading room, I love to look up and around and see books on all sides of me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Impressive collection! I'm pretty sure I couldn't have my books around my TV though. Whenver I'd be watching the TV, I'd be thinking "I should be reading!" and whenever I'd be reading I'd be thinking "Oh I really wanted to see X on TV!" But then, I have that problem anyway...

    It seems like if I took pictures of my stacks that would make the madness that much more real, so my collection is still waiting for its photographic unveiling. I'm sure it will take over the house pretty soon, perhaps photograph itself, and post its self-portraits to my blog while I lie helpless under a stack of angry chunksters that have been waiting eternities to be read...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My Lord ... you got yourself a little bookstore there!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!