23 July 2010

Bookish Activity: Thumbing Through Thoreau

Thumbing Through Thoreau is a compilation of quotes put together by Kenny Luck and then illustrated by Jay Luke and Ren Adams. It is beautiful. Not for the images, which were wonderfully done, or the words, which are brilliant, but for its ability to make readers think. This was my first experience reading a book of quotations - at least cover-to-cover - and I think one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much is that I was reading an unbound review copy; put simply, I was reading a print out of the book.  So I felt no guilt whatsoever about putting pen to page and annotating.

My annotations are not intellectual, well thought-out, or particularly well written; they are just the phrase or question that popped into my head while reading a quotation. Some examples:

Thoreau: The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
My note: Pink Floyd

Thoreau: If it were not for death and funerals, I think the institution of the church would stand no longer.
My  note: a definite possibility, except that humans seem to need greater meaning...perhaps we wouldn't without death.

Thoreau: Be not simply good; be good for something.
My note: The point where so many fall short.

Thoreau: It is only a reflecting mind that sees reflections.
My note: Why did Donnie Darko just pop into my head?

Thoreau: We are one virtue, one truth, one beauty.
My note: Sounds like a Black Eyed Peas song.

Thoreau: Love and lust are as far asunder as a flower-garden is from a brothel.
My note: YA lit would do well to learn this.

Thoreau: ...not till we are lost do we begin to realize where we are..
My note: sad but true; I found my vocation when I realized I had absolutely no idea what job to get and decided to teach part-time until I found one


About half-way through the book I had an idea: Wouldn't it be neat to pass this "book" along to others, let them annotate in it as well, and then get the book back? So that's what I'm going to do if any of you are interested.

Your task would be to read the book, adding in annotations where you'd like, and then pass the book on to someone else (who will be assigned). Once all interested parties have received the book and added their doodles, I'd like the book back, and I will put up a post with images of the annotated pages. With media mail offering pretty cheap shipping, I'm hoping a bunch of you will sign up!

Tweet this! Blog about this! Do whatever you'd like and let me know you promoted this event, and I'll enter you into a drawing for a free book from this list!

13 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love group projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading your comments as well. I'm generally of the opinion that Thoreau is a hack, so your comments were by far the highlight of anything to do with Thoreau. And sorry if this sounds bitter. Thoreau and I tumbled in a very disappointing class when I was an undergrad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "YA lit would do well to learn this" - this cracked me up!

    For some reason your blog was down for several hours this morning so I'm just now able to comment. I'm glad it's up again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome idea! And I love Thoreau. Sign me up!

    Oh, and I think Black Eyed Peas should totally do that song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS IDEA! I love that you do it, b/c you're so clever. me, it'd be more like, "yeah, me too."

    awesome project...from a brilliant mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really cool idea! I can't wait to see how it works out. I love the "love and lust" quote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a terrific idea - and I would jump on the annotating band wagon if it weren't so close to the start of a new school year.

    I greatly look forward to your compilation post though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill - Me too!

    Andi - Aw, too bad you and Thoreau are on the outs!

    Amanda - It seriously was the first thing that popped into my head.

    Christina - I think I was hearing One Tribe in my head at the time. :)

    Alexandra - Thanks! And you are most definitely more clever than I.

    Kim - I hope it works out too!

    Molly - It will take a while for it to get around to everyone, so you should still sign up! You wouldn't even need to receive the book until well into the Fall semester.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic idea! I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this idea!!! So much so that I can't promise I'll send the book back out. Ok, fine, I won't steal the book...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila - I hope you signed up!

    Trish - I'm glad you are joining in!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!