31 July 2010

Monthly Viewings: July

The Last Airbender
I have a confession: I've never seen the cartoon. This meant I went into the movie with no preconceived notions, and I'm glad I did. For while I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, my cousin, who loved the cartoon series, did not.  Too many changes.  I just had to smile as this is typically how I feel about book-to-film adaptations. I thought the special effects were fantastic, and the lyrical movements the actors made in their bending was beautiful. The film was a bit lacking in depth, and I was frustrated by the abrupt ending, but overall I thought it was excellent.

The Boondock Saints
I've seen this film many, many times, and I like it every time.  I don't care if it's pure sensationalism. I love the overly creative execution scenes, I enjoy the abundance of blood and macho-ness, and of course, Willem Defoe is 100% awesome in this movie, playing one of the most intriguing characters.

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day
Oh, this was very much not good.  I can't get over the passion with which I didn't like this when I enjoyed the first so much.  I think it was trying to be self-referentially ridiculous, but it came across as nothing more than stupid.

Twilight: New Moon
So ridiculous. So, so, so ridiculous.

Despicable Me
So hilarious. So, so, so hilarious.  Seriously, this one was great. I loved the characters and found the 3D entertaining and actually appropriate for the film, and laughed continuously at some of the more subtle bits of humor. And I love Agnes. I laugh every time I even think "It's so fluffy."



Twilight: Eclipse
I went to the theater by myself to see this one, surrounded by pairs of girls a solid 10 years younger than I. Munching on twizzlers and downing my not-entirely-giant coke, I expected to see a cheese-fest like New Moon was. While the cheese still existed, I did enjoy this movie much much more than New Moon. More fighting, less smoochiness.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
I don't know why I like Nicholas Cage, but I do. And a shaggy haired, vest and dress pants Nicholas with a hat was pretty sexy. Not that the film was sexy; the film was cute. I enjoyed the story even if I did wish for a bit less romance and a bit more fighting. And has anyone noticed that those with magical abilities have a standard stance; the legs bent one a bit forward, arms at sides slightly curved with palms up (the arms are usually thrust down to this position), head angled down a bit.
There are actually better shots than these but I couldn't find them online, and I'm too lazy to get the screenshots myself. "The Stance" seems to occur at the exact moment The Powerful One realizes or displays their full abilities.  My point - this stance happens in The Sorcerer's Apprentice.  If anyone has any other examples of The Stance, I would absolutely love to see it/hear about it!

Sherlock Holmes
This was my second time around watching this film, and I enjoyed it as much as the first.  Guy Ritchie, Robert Downey Jr., and Jude Law sure sexed Holmes up in this film. That combined with the chemistry between Law and Downey and the steampunkish visualization means I can't wait for the next installment.

16 comments:

  1. I have to say, I highly recommend the cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender- the attention to detail and respect for the source material is so wonderful, and it's fun. I'm glad somebody enjoyed The Last Airbender- between the racist casting and disrespect for the source material, I think the fandom steered clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Last Airbender and The Sorcerer's Apprentice had absolutely no appeal to the kids and I, but we LOVED Despicable Me. I would have to agree with you on the Twilight movies. The second one was dreadful (way too much moping and hystrionics), and the third was probably the best of the three, for what that is worth. We were not all that thrilled with Sherlock Holmes. We rented it on demand awhile back, and I fell asleep and my son got up and went back to his video games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Boondock Saints! And glad you liked Eclipse. I'm still torn on whether to see it or not. Probably will wait until it comes out of the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to see The Sorcerer's Apprentice this weekend and like you I like Nicolas Cage and am looking forward to this film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clare - The racist casting was a bit obvious and insulting, but it didn't ruin the movie for me.

    Sandy - Awww, that's too bad about Sherlock; I thought the plot line was a bit thin with a rather simplistic puzzle to solve, but I did like the way it was filmed.

    Trish - I'm glad to hear someone else say that they love Boondock Saints! I realize it's a total guilty pleasure, but i just doesn't matter to me.

    Page - You'll have to let me know what you think of the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherlock Holmes was great and I do plan to catch Sorcerer's Apprentice on NetFlix. Despicable Me was a real charmer, though. One of the best movies of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so dead on with your review of Sherlock Holmes. 'nuff said. it was such the sexy movie for us ladies....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm surprised to read your positive review of The Last Airbender after the massacre it received from the critics. :-D I have a friend who saw it -- she said she would have liked it O.K. if it hadn't ended up costing her family $100 for 3-D tickets plus snacks. Ouch!

    My hubby and kids saw Despicable Me and liked it. James's verdict -- "the yellow guys were AWESOME!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alex - I agree about Sherlock and Despicable Me. DesMe was hilarious.

    Alexandra - Ever now and then we need to stare at RDJ's chest. We just do.

    Christina - Uber cute is the perfect term for the film.

    Stephanie - I know right? Clearly critics and I are not agreeing on that film. I get the whole race issue and the "not like the cartoon" issue, but the movie was still good enough for me. And the yellow guys were definitely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicholas Cage. Nick Cage. LIke a carwreck, I can't look away.
    I loved Sherlock, too. and maybe someday I'll watch Despicable Me - didn't think I wanted to until you said, 'Seriously...'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Notably absent: Inception! Any interest? It's really, really good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Care - Exactly! Cage is just the type of person you can't tear your eyes away from. And you should definitely watch Despicable Me.

    Greg - I know, I know! I want to go see it so badly, but first my movie date canceled and now it looks like I have to wait until the coming weekend to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree -- New Moon was almost boring!!!

    And that "fluffy" line was the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenners - Definitely boring. And "the fluffy" is "the funny".

    ReplyDelete
  15. For some reason I have always like Nic Cage too, but I'm not sure about this movie.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!