28 August 2010

Mini-Reviews: Discover the Fantastic and Incomprehensible

Discover the Destroyer by K.A. Applegate is the fifth book in the Everworld series, a collection of 12 stories alternately narrated by four humans trapped in an alternate universe where the gods of old have set up shop.  In this installment, the four friends and the mysterious Senna, a witch with serious man-controlling powers, have to steal four items from fairies which rightfully belong to one wicked dragon. If they don't succeed, they die.  I'm still enjoying the series, but I am wishing the plot was a bit more compact.

Buy | Borrow | Accept | Avoid

Challenges: 100+ Reading Challenge, YA Reading Challenge, Hogwarts Reading Challenge,



Fear the Fantastic follows Discover the Destroyer, and more than any other installment I've read, it reminded me that this series is best read as one long book.  While Dionysus appears for the first time and the four travelers get to have a bit of a fight from time to time, this book is primarily a transition book.  We are simply moving from one place to the next.  At the end of DtD, they have just entered the lands of Ka Anor, and FtF merely gets them to the center of the city.  Now I have to wait until BookMooch or SwapTree makes it possible for me to get the next book in the series....

Buy | Borrow | Accept | Avoid

Challenges: 100+ Reading Challenge, YA Reading Challenge, Hogwarts Reading Challenge,

How to Grow Up and Rule the World by Vordak the Incomprehensible is a hilarious how-to book for would-be Supervillains. Vordak the Incomprehensible cornered me at BEA and made me laugh evilly in order to get a copy of this book, an activity which I must say had me grinning for quite some time after. I really wish I had a picture of him; although if you picture the cover character in real life, you have a pretty good idea of what he looked like.

Reading this book was a great relaxer after reading The New Annotated Dracula, and I feel fully prepared to initiate my world domination plans soon.  If you are looking for a very, very fast read with quirky humor, you should definitely pick this up.

Buy | Borrow | Accept | Avoid

Challenges: 100+ Reading Challenge, 42 Challenge, YA Reading Challenge, Hogwarts Reading Challenge,

2 comments:

  1. I looked at Vordak just the other day and didn't get it and now I regret it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Vordak book seems like a kick!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!