24 September 2010

Movie Review: Stand by Me


Title: Stand by Me
Director: Rob Reiner
Starring: Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Cory Feldman, Jerry O'Connell
Release: August 8, 1986
Country: USA
Genre: Adventure, Drama
Rated: R
First Viewing: Yeah right. I've been watching this movie my entire life. I have no idea when I first saw it.

The Short and Sweet of It
Four friends set out to find the body of a boy who disappeared.  And if you don't know the rest of what happens in this movie, FOR SHAME. Go right now.  Go to your local video store and watch this.

A Bit of a Ramble
Stand by Me is not your typical coming of age story. When Gordie, Christopher, Teddy, and Vern set out to see a dead body, they bring along with them much more than canteens and backpacks. Each boy has his own problems: parents who abuse them, ignore them, and just don't understand them. But Reiner doesn't wallow in pity for the boys, he keeps the tone one of hope and growth with a bittersweet undertone.

I can't remember the first time I watched this film, but I know that every time I see it while flipping channels, I have to stop and watch. I have never set out on a journey to see a dead body, and I was in no way a 12 year old boy, but I think everyone can relate to this film. We may not have had abusive families, been plagued by knife wielding bullies, or had leeches in unmentionable places, but we've all experienced the pains of growing up and felt the perfect love for childhood friends.

Gordie writes that he has never had friends like he did when he was twelve and asks if anyone does. I think we all know the answer.

14 comments:

  1. I read the Stephen King short story first, then I think I saw the movie when it came out in the theaters. I never get tired of watching it! Never! Now I own the DVD and my kids watch it over and over again. It is a great screenplay, granted. But that group of actors make magic...that is the only explanation I have for why it works and why you will never tire of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How FREAKING good is this movie?! It is amazing that Stephen King wrote 2 of my all time favorite short stories... that became my 2 favorite movies. (Weirdly enough he has also written some of the worst books I've ever read....). This movie is so fantastic and the short story is even better. For shame is for sure. If someone hasn't seen this they need to RUN to the movie store... and pick up Shawshank Redemption while they are at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And don't forget . . . it has one of the best soundtracks EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this movie, although as a general rule I can't stand to watch things twice. This is one of the few exceptions (except the pie eating contest...I'll start gagging if I watch that!). The other movie I love is Shawshank Redemption...I guess King inspires great movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This move is so good. I have many vivid scenes etched in my brain. The leeches? Owzers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this movie also, definitely a lifetime favourite.

    The running on the train tracks scene is pee in your pants funny. I need to go rent this one or maybe I should buy for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy - Those kids could act, couldn't they? They were good, not only for their age, but just good in general. You don't see that very often these days.

    PnP - Welcome back! It's good to see you ladies up and running again. And I'm with you on King: some of the best and worst reads come from him.

    Kathy - Absolutely! The music is perfect.

    Jill - I tend to not watch the pie-eating fiasco as well. Icky. Very Icky.

    Christina - The leeches scene is definitely memorable. Such a perfect little detail.

    Marce - I don't know how I've never bought this film...probably because it's on tv so often...but I think buying it is a great idea.

    Nikki - It's such a brilliant movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen this in ages! What a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a good movie! I remember being so surprised when I found out it was a King story, but then I read it and it was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny Girl - It definitely is!

    Avid Reader - I was surprised at first too! And I have to admit, I've never read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a terrific movie, and the short story "The Body" is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im like that too Trisha... I have what I refer to as "comfort movies" and no matter how many times I have seen them., or if I have access to them in my DVD collection... I will stop and watch them if I see them on tv. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has been ages and ages (decades?) since I've seen this and was thinking it would be a fun read-book-see-movie project.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!