07 January 2011

Difficult Books Personal Challenge

Reading and mathematics are not mutually exclusive. One can appreciate the complexities of literature and differential equations simultaneously. Or better yet, Bookslut reminds us that readers can read about the lives of mathematicians; you know, if you aren't into deterministic equations involving continuously varying er....yep, whatever..you can just read about people who are into...that...

Thinking about the difficulty of math got me contemplating the more difficult novels. This list of the 5 Hardest Books to Read (That Are Totally Worth It) may be a place to start on those brain-stretching reads. The list includes:
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
Violence and the Sacred by Rene Girard
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Ulysses by James Joyce
The Way of Love by Lucy Irigaray

I have the first four sitting on the shelves, unread, but in February/March, I am hosting a readalong for Ulysses with Trish from Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity and Jill from Fizzy Thoughts. I am considering making a Difficult Books reading list as a personal challenge this year, but before finalizing the list, I'd love to know if you guys have any thoughts on the above list. Are there books you would add?

12 comments:

  1. I love The Sound and the Fury, so it is interesting to see it on this list. It is definitely not the most accessible book in the world, but if I can get through it and learn and get some enjoyment from it, then there is hope that I can read others on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-book-blog-follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. My answer (from FF)-- My current read: Amber Frost, I found at Bitten by Books
    I am hopping by from Follow Friday. I’m following you and would love it if you follow me back! Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Follow Friday! I am a follower!!!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Ulysses AND The Sound and the Fury?! I think this is a great idea. I want more of my reading this year to push me out of my comfort zone so there are several philosophical, religious/spiritual, and anthropological works that I want to read. Good luck on your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I don't have what it takes to read Ulysses ... but good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd add War and Peace, just because I'm determined to read it this year, and it's massive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Sound and the Fury is actually remarkably accessible. I guess I read it before I realized that it was supposed to be hard. But Ulysses?! Completely intimidates me. Proust might be an addition. (Does it scare people as much as it scares me?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, what a great challenge! One book I plan on reading this year is The Iliad. Hopefully this summer. I also want to read a Virginia Woolf and The Bell Jar. I think that's it for my goals...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am surprised to see The Sound and the Fury on there - I read it in college and didn't find it too difficult. Now, Ulysses I agree with- not sure I could make it through that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing something similar this year, so you can look at my list if you need ideas:

    theyearofdifficultreading.tumblr.com

    Not every book is Ulysses-level difficult, but I think it should make for a challenging year nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of a personal list of five...interesting! (I love the badge, too.) I have sworn never to read another thing Joyce has written, so I'd have to replace Ulysses. And The Sound and the Fury, too...I've actually read that one!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!