28 January 2011

Hopping Along

Book Blogger HopFirst, I apologize for the double post. I am trying to get used to a new posting schedule which includes meme-ish type posts, and since I haven't done any scheduled posting like that for about a year or so, I'm still having a few snafus. But I really like the community feel of the various book blog hops going on around the blogosphere these days.

The Book Blogger Hop over at Crazy-for-Books asks: What book are you most looking forward to seeing published in 2011? Why are you anticipating that book?

For me, that's a tough question, primarily because I don't exactly keep up on release dates and new books. What immediately popped into my head though is Scott Westerfeld's Goliath, the final book in the Leviathan series. I loved the first two (Leviathan, Behemoth), reading them back to back in just two days. Waiting until September (possibly October) to read the finale kind of gives me the twitches. I really, really, really prefer to wait until the whole series is out, and then read all of the installments in one shebang. Sometimes my excitement overcomes this though, and I just have to pick up the first book.

Follow My Book Blog Friday is hosted over at Parajunkee's View, and it's a nice way to find new blogs to stalk follow. This week's question is: What is/was your favorite subject in school?

A most difficult question for me since I - like a good geek - loved school. I loved grade school, enjoyed high school, and practically worshiped college. My favorite subject would be a tie between English and Film Studies, and my favorite classes combined the two. For instance I took this awesome class on Horror where we read books and watched movies in the horror genre. Too fun. I took an obscene amount of courses in cultural studies where we focused on the role visual media plays in contemporary society, and one of my best classes actually went over the history of visual media in 20th century America. Then there was 19th century African history, the History of Sexuality, 19th century Irish Literature, Women in Shakespeare, Perspective in Documentary Film-making... I could go on and on and on about the great courses I took in college, but I think you get the idea.

11 comments:

  1. Hell, if I would have had a horror book/horror movie class in college, I would have loved it too! For me, however, I spent my efforts on extracurricular subjects and sleep-walked through my accounting classes. Might I add that I did not love accounting, it was my major because I knew I would make great money when I graduated! So I guess if I didn't have a "favorite" class, it was my own fault!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of a class on Horror, how absolutely brilliant, I am so jealous, I hated school but would have loved every minute of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, yes I loved my Cinematic Expression class i undergrad..after reading everyone's posts, I really need to change mine. I'm new to your blog and I love it! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    xo,
    Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping by to say hello! I also prefer almost to wait until at least a couple or three books are available before I start a series. Not so much waiting!

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just hopping by! I picked Goliath too. I LOVE the Leviathan series. Nice to see other fans out there - I am a new follower :)

    Reading Lark's Hop Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always been an English nerd, but I think my favorite English classes were my writing classes. They really helped form how I am as a thinker and a writer today, which is important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since I just finished Linger yesterday afternoon - I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog on Friday! I loved Women Studies and Cultural Studies. I took tons of classes that were related to each subject through literature.

    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Just hopping by and following through.
    I enjoyed school too - I must read the Bemoth series!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out
    www.bookdout.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had problems with this question, too, since I don't pay much attention to what's being published in the coming year. I have enough problems figuring out how I am going to read all of the already published books I hope to read! lol Not the worst problem to have by far!
    Luckily I also knew that some of the authors I like had books coming out this year!

    I haven't read anything by Scott Westerfield yet, but he's on my list of authors to make sure I read! and now I know he has a new book coming out. He writes a lot of books!

    I hope you're having a good weekend!
    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fellow English lover (it was my major in college)! Love your blog! New follower:) Stop by and say hi if you get a chance!
    Have a great week!
    Kristin
    MyBookishWays

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!