09 January 2011

Literary Blog Hop: The Path to Awesome

Literary Blog HopThis blog hop, hosted at The Blue Bookcase, is open to blogs that primarily feature book reviews of literary fiction, classic literature, and general literary discussion.
 ~~~~

How did you find your way to reading literary fiction and nonfiction?

Thinking back on my path to literary works, or to awesomeness, is not easy. I have always been an avid reader. My love affair with books predates specific memory; the running joke in my family about me being a voracious reader began when I was still in grade school and has persisted to this day. Most of my reading at the time revolved around such joys as Gary Paulsen, the Babysitters Club, etc., but looking back, I think that what really got me going on the more mature of literary fiction was Shakespeare. Now, I realize he is drama, so let me explain.

I started reading Shakespeare quite young - fifth grade or so - because I had heard he was the creme de la creme of reading. My slightly egotistic mind naturally decided to read him then. King Lear was my first and I loved it despite not entirely understanding it at the time. The difficulty of Shakespeare's works didn't turn me off from him and I continued reading his plays from time to time during grade school, but the difficulty did make me reassess actually focusing on getting through his canon (a word I did not know at the time). So instead of forcing myself to stick to Shakespeare, I branched out into literary fiction (another word I did not know at the time). I can't remember the first lit fic book I read, but that's when the whole hot mess of devouring literature started.

Some works I, of course, read for classes like True Grit by Charles Portis which I remember from seventh grade, but I read many more books for pleasure than were assigned by teachers. Over my grade school and high school years, I went through truckloads of books and that tendency just continued into college. I completely bypassed young adult lit when I was a young adult and focused primarily on classic novels. It wasn't until I was out of college and read Harry Potter for the first time that I started reading YAL.

As for literary nonfiction, figuring out the origins of that particularly form for me is much more difficult. I don't read a ton of lit nonfic as it is, so determining the beginning is practically impossible. I would hazard a guess that most of my experience with nonfiction before college was not of the literary variety. In college, however, I started reading more story-oriented nonfiction, at first for classes and then for pleasure. What book came first is beyond me, but I have fond memories of one class where we read books like Patrimony by Philip Roth, The Rice Room by Ben Fong-Torres, The Latin Deli by Judith Ortiz-Cofer, and Lame Deer: Seeker of Visions by Lame Deer. These may have paved the way for literary nonfiction.


What about you guys? How did you start on the path to awesomeness?

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful teachers who inculcated a love of literature. Started with Pride and Prejudice and then Romeo and Juliet just right for teenagers with ideas of romance in their heads!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed that you read Shakespeare that early. At 31 I still can't read him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took a long time for me to get into the literary fiction and non fiction but I think it would stem back to my book club. We stretched our reading pallets as a group and as we grew in our reading tastes... I began to crave more in books - more depth, more truth in some cases....

    Although, like Amanda, I have yet to read Shakespeare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There must exist in some long lost family members, photo collection a picture of me exiting the womb, carrying a book, with possibly my junior library card in the other hand. My reasoning for this is that I've no recollection of not reading & like yourself Shakespeare featured quite young, I can remember a school assembly (juniors) & myself & the 7 ages of man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember the first time I read a play by Shakespeare, but it might have been at university. Having grown up in France, we were reading Moliere and Racine in schools...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to carry a stack of books with me everywhere when I was in the 6th grade. I had to have them with me. Why? I think that's when my own eccentricities began! :) To this day my taste in everything is eclectic. I've just resigned myself to being weird. I like myself more now that I've just accepted that. :) This hop was fun and you guys are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if I've yet come to love literary fiction. When a book is described that way, I tend to be nervous of it, rather than excited. The "literary fiction" that I end up loving -- like Salman Rushdie -- feels like an exception rather than the rule.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "path to awesomeness" Great way to describe it! I love that you got into Shakespeare so young. I feel like most people who tried him so early would have been turned off from him and other lit fiction rather than encouraged to check out more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your story about your approach to Shakespeare! Such confidence and bravado!

    And I know I stumbled into stuff that was sitting on my parent's bookshelves ... reading them often without fully understanding but realizing it was something mysterious and special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you have always been an ambitious and impressive reader, and I am also surprised that you tackled Shakespeare at such a young age. I can't say that I have been a serious reader all my life, having just seemed to pick it up late in my twenties, but I have always been mildly in love with reading, even in my early days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you started reading Shakespeare in the fifth grade? I'm nineteen and the only Shakespeare I've read is King Lear, and only because we had to discuss it in class. Personally, I find Shakespeare intimidating. On the other hand, I completely fell in love with Harry Potter when I was in the third grade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your story about your approach to Shakespeare! Such confidence and bravado! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, what are you doing this time...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I want to meet you one more time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. As for literary nonfiction, figuring out the origins of that particularly form for me is much more difficult.Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you read Lear early. My son discovered Shakespeare early and has infected me completely with his enthusiasm--but he has pretty much stuck with the comedies so far!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!