01 January 2011

Reading Report: The 2010 Recap

2010 has drawn to a close, so it's time to take a look at the kind of reading I've done this year. And the numbers are...

THE BIGGIES
Books Read142 Pages Read38112 A40
New Books118 Re-reads18 B50
Fiction122 Non-Fiction20 C52
I read 30 more books this year than last, and I really have no idea how to account for the major jump in numbers. I know that in the past three years, blogging has had a definite impact on the number of books I pick up and read, but hopefully I will plateau at this number because 150+ seems a bit ridiculous considering everything else I have going on in my life.

I am very very pleased to see that my ABCs are coming out about even. The ABCs are: C - very easy read, B - requires a bit of thought, and A - mind stretching.
GOAL FOR 2011: I am hoping to increase the number of non-fiction books.

THE AUTHORS
Male58 Female69
Alive123 Dead19
New To Me80 2+ Books/Author15
I am quite surprised that I've read more female than male authors as that is unusual for me, but since the numbers are still pretty close to even I'm cool with it. The overwhelmingly larger "Alive" number is still freaking me out as that is a major shift since blogging. I read a lot of dead white guys prior to eclectic/eccentric.
GOAL FOR 2011: Read more Dead people.

THE BOOKS
Age Adult75 YA66 Children1
Format Novels102 Short Stories10 Plays7

Graphic Novels15 Misc.7eBooks5
Source Bought70 Borrowed / Library10 Gift/Win/Free16

Swap Site12 Review Copy20 BEA12
Age and Format are no real surprise. I like adult and YAL about equally, and I primarily read novels. As for the horror of Source, I really need to buy less books (not that I bought all 70 this year or anything).
GOALS FOR 2011: More graphic novels. Read from the Non-Bought stacks. Catch up on Review Copies. More eBooks.

GENRES
Fiction
Non-Fiction
Science Fiction15 Memoirs7
Fantasy59 Biographies0
Historical Fiction9 Cultural Studies9
Mystery-Thriller1 Essays2
Realistic Fiction30 Narrative Nonfiction2
Romance5 History1
No real surprise here. I love Fantasy, and my reading falls primarily into that category.  I am a bit impressed by the major increase in my "Realistic Fiction" reading. Anything "real" I used to read was romance...and that's only sort of real. :)
GOALS FOR 2011: More Historical Fiction. More Non-Fiction.

MONTHS
January12 July17
February11 August10
March10 September16
April14 October15
May8 November9
June10 December10
While the numbers each month have gone up over the past few years, the pattern has remained relatively the same. I tend to read less in what I think of as transitional months: May and June when the school year ends and the super fast summer session begins; August when I have my family reunion and the new year begins; and November and December when the fall semester ends. It makes sense that July would be top dog as that is the only month I don't have to work.

Overall, I am really pleased with my reading stats. Ah, the only time I really enjoy numbers!

16 comments:

  1. I had a jump in numbers this year too but I think it's because I read so many YA books - they can be dispatched in no time, compared to nonfiction or literary fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read about 30 more books this year, and I'm guessing it was because I read more YA and Graphic Novels. Which is not a bad thing! In fact I do want to read more GNs this year. I love all your number crunching...you are a closet accountant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so hope my monthly numbers next year look more like yours!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find all these end-of-year statistics popping up all over the book blogs fascinating. I don't know why, but they are very interesting reading.

    I'm not able to keep track of all that information myself. Maybe I'm a bit jealous. Or just lazy about numbers.

    I hope you read many books that you love in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I love the "read more dead people" goal. I think I might adopt that myself.

    Happy New Year, dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very cool. I'm also quite impressed by the breakdowns. Know what's weird? I read 142 books too this year. Weird random number.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm cracking up over the read more dead people goal. I read a few of those this year...more than in past years. But they're not a group I generally seek out. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill - I am just reading more and watching less tv/movies; I used to have a more even split.

    Sandy - Ha! I know right? I really don't like numbers, but this geeks me out for some reason.

    Amanda - Yeah, this is definitely as high as I want to go. The neighborhood of 150 seems reasonable.

    James - As long as you set the spreadsheet up and update it after every book, it's not so bad to keep track of all the numbers. :)

    Andi - It's a lofty goal to read more dead people. :)

    Vicky - Ooohhh, that's creepy and awesome. Love it.

    Jill - Reading more dead people is an important and serious goal. :) Dead people need love too you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, read more dead people. That's funny! I think 150 or more books would me too many for me, too. I was feeling sort of overwhelmed reading just over 100, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and I thought writing my post was hard. Darn girl I love the numbers you worked out there. Great year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. You read a ton of books this year. I also aim to read more dead people this 2011. LOL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stats, I love all the breakdown and details that you provide. I hope your 2011 is even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ... and by even better I mean that you read more of what you want - i.e. dead people ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on a great year of reading! Hope you can reach all your goals in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy lots of numbers, Batman! I like. This is very easy to read and follow,too. I want to borow some of these classifications.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the graphs and charts approach that you took, and am also impressed by the total number of books you managed to read. I hope to do a little better this year, as I only hit about 115. I wish you a very Happy New Year and hope that you read some real gems this time around!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!