02 January 2011

Indie Lit Awards

The Indie Lit Awards are blogger-nominated and blogger-judged awards given out to the best books published in a given year. The nominations are over and some very smart and wonderful people (the judges on this page) have come up with the shortlists:

2010 Shortlist for GLBTQ
  • Annabel by Kathleen Winter
  • Jumpstart the World by Catherine Ryan Hyde
  • Krakow Melt by Daniel Allen Cox
  • Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan and John Green
  • Scars by Cheryl Rainfield
I am on the panel for this one, and let me tell you a giant handful of excellent books have been published this year about GLBTQ characters. Some that didn't make the short list which you might be interested in are:

I am not saying that these are the best GLBTQ books of 2010; these are just the ones I've either read or have on the shelves waiting for me. If you are looking for some good reads of the GLBTQ variety for the 2011 year, the above 14 books are an excellent place to start!

Lest we forget the other categories, the short lists for them are out as well:

2010 Short List for Literary Fiction
  • C by Tom McCarthy
  • Great House by Nicole Krauss
  • Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson
  • Room by Emma Donoghue
  • Safe from the Sea by Peter Geye
2010 Short List for Non-Fiction
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
  • The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
  • Let’s Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell
  • Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff
  • At Home by Bill Bryson
2010 Shortlist for Speculative Fiction
  • Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness
  • Kraken by China Mieville
  • Dante’s Journey by JC Marino
  • How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu
  • The Passage by Justin Cronin
These look like fantastic reading lists, and more than a few of them are already on my shelves waiting to be read.

7 comments:

  1. Hurrah for the Indie Lit Awards! I can't wait to read Inseparable...just have to buy a copy first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one that I really want to read is How to Live Safely in a Science Fiction Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list of books :) A few of the non-nominated ones sound great and I want to read them at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to check out some of these books more closely! I am thrilled to see I have actually read some of them and loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of these, though Annabel is on my shelf as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this on my TBR forever!! And I def. have high expectations for it... I hate when things are repetitive though. That might bother me!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!