17 February 2011

Literary Blog Hop: Books for War

Literary Blog HopThe Literary Blog Hop is open to blogs that primarily feature book reviews of literary fiction, classic literature, and general literary discussion. This week's question is really intriguing: If you were going off to war (or some other similarly horrific situation) and could only take one book with you, which literary book would you take and why?

Deciding on a book to take to war is not exactly an easy task. Figuring out what I would bring to a deserted island and the such not is one thing, but what would I want to read during a war? Does one read a war book while at war? If so, I would bring Karl Marlantes' Matterhorn. I haven't read it yet, but the reviews I've read really have me jonesing to pick it up. Rebecca over at The Book Lady's Blog wrote that "Marlantes makes it impossible to forget that, whether we agree with the principles that got us into a war or not, the war is fought by individuals who decide, each day, to do what is asked of them, if for no other reason than that they want their friends to live. And he does it with sensitivity, insight, and a knack for picking the heartbreakingest of details." She also lists it as one of her favorite reads of 2010.

But do I want to read a book about Vietnam while I'm living through my own war. Perhaps the bookish answer lies more in happy novels than the more serious, something to take me out of my situation. If so, I think I would have to go for Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Two of the funniest books I have ever read, these novels would be a lovely shift from the day to day horror of war.

22 comments:

  1. Tricky question! I think I would want something upbeat rather than sad or serious, but I can't think of what book at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. I had the same thought: Would I actually be busy reading during a war? I think not. I would most likely be occupied trying to avoid getting shot.

    Light would be nice. I say yes to Good Omens and yes to Hitchhiker's Guide. Great choices.

    Here is my post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Art of War might be handy to have around, though. Not that I've read it, but it's supposedly the definitive book on war. War and Peace might also be appropriate, plus it's hecka long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too would like something uplifting and light but I can't think of something right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I think you would want something uplifting with the condition also that it would be a book that you might have to read over and over-interesting pick and thanks for answering the question

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would take Ulysses, or better yet (for a long war): Finnegan's Wake! Maybe it would improve my attitude about doing the fighting (as in, "anything but reading that book!!!")

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY good choices! I love those books so much. I worry about comedy being too much of a contrast with my actual situation and making me extra depressed, though. As they say, misery loves company :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I think humour would be the way to go and both of these would work for me, although I went with another humourist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't read a war book during a war either. Too much war overload.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you, I'd probably take something humorous or maybe a fantasy novel, something that'll let me escape for a while. Good Omens is definitely a good choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would take something long and meticulously paced, like one of the Russian classics because I would want something that would totally engage all my mind and senses so that I wouldn't have to be totally consumed by the war going on around me. It might be War and Peace or possibly Crime and Punishment. This is a great question!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I picked something serious, in part because I tend to be cheered by the more serious, introspective (a.k.a. depressing) books and music...something I can identify with. Not something so easy to identify with as another war book--that would just be overload for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly think I would lose my marbles if I took The Hitchhiker's Guide with me to war. It's so out there, and in that situation (war) + that kind of book, I just don't know if I could handle it. I'd probably end up thinking I was an alien and fighting a revolutionary war Martian independence or something. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. New follower here...I've read MAtterhorn and it was a tough one. I think I'd find it too depressing to have with me, but the upshot is that, like my choice, it might be thick enough to stop a bullet, and perhaps save your life. I went with The Lord of the Rings for all kinds of reasons...would love to have your opinion of it...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you--funny all the way. Though, Catch-22 might be a good one for perspective. Or not. I kind of don't want to think about the question any more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hitchhikers guide would definetely bring a much needed smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wasn't this a great question? I haven't read either book but have heard great things. I went with a more depressing read ;). Crime and Punishment, since the surroundings will be grim it seemed fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is on my wish list. Wonderful choice!

    Here is my Literary Blog Hop post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooo, that's much harder than picking a desert island book! And also, weirdly, it makes me much more argumentative. Why can I only have one book at war? What, is war super crowded and if someone has more than one book the war won't work? It really doesn't make any sense to quibble over this -- it makes far less sense that you'd only be able to take one book to a desert island, than to war. :p

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a very interesting thought about bringing a war book to war. I did end up picking a war book as well. ;)

    I'm following from the hop.

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh i didn't even think of something funny!!! Hitchikers Guide would be a great book...makes me want to reread it now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, my choice would be something to totally escape in. P&P, or Hitchhikers, anything but a war or depressing book!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!