01 February 2011

Reading Schedule 2011


Quite a few bloggers I adore are doing formal, semiformal, or informal readalongs this year, and I need a place to keep track. Here is a schedule of monthly readings for the 2011 year. I hope to get to all of them, but I am not going to force myself. If I try to force my reading, I get all 8-year-old cantankerous and stubborn.

If you know of others you think I would like, be sure to let me know!


Year of Fem: Year of Feminist Classics
Allie Lit Odyssey: Allie's Readalongs at A Literary Odyssey
Erin Reads: Erin's Reading Buddies at Erin Reads

January
A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollestonecraft (Year of Fem)

February
The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill and Harriet Taylor Mill (Year of Fem)
Ulysses by James Joyce (Fizzy Thoughts): First Post, Second Post,
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (Erin Reads)

March
A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen (Year of Fem)
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (Allie Lit Odyssey)
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (Erin Reads)

April
Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Year of Fem)
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (Allie Lit Odyssey)
The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (Erin Reads)


May
A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf (Year of Fem)
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Erin Reads)

June
God Dies by the Nile by Nawal Saadawi (Year of Fem)

July
The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir (Year of Fem)
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (Erin Reads)

August
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston (Year of Fem)
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (Erin Reads)

September
The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf (Year of Fem)
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Allie Lit Odyssey)

October
Ain’t I a Woman? by bell hooks (Year of Fem)
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Allie Lit Odyssey)

November
Gender Trouble by Judith Butler (Year of Fem)

December
Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde (Year of Fem)

14 comments:

  1. I know I see so many great readalongs, but nine times out of ten, I SAY I'm going to do them, then get caught up in other projects. Then I feel guilty. I imagine if I end up doing one, it will be a last minute thing. Good luck! There are some good books on this list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these readalongs this year. I'm growing obsessed. Thanks for pointing out Erin's. I didn't know she had any going. There are a couple that I have on my shelf so maybe I will get motivated!

    Also, hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trisha...thank you so much for making life easier for us by tracking this. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you're going to read a lot of great books this year. Thanks for linking to the readalongs and challenges. I'm particularly interested in the Little Women readalong (challenge?), since I intend to reread it this year. I'm off to Erin's blog to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'm leading discussion of The Good Earth at The Classic Reads Book Club! Some great ones listed here. I just might have to join some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow that is a lot! :) I hope you guys enjoy--I do love the readalongs but I'm afraid if I commit myself to too many I'll end up getting the burn-out I experienced from challenges. I do have Cutting for Stone on my radar, though! And I'm still hoping to host a Moby Dick readalong in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew, that'll keep you busy! I'm excited you're joining for so many of the Reading Buddies books! I have Allie's readalongs and the Year of Feminist Classics books noted on my calendar, but I'm sure I won't get to all of them.

    As for others, I know Amanda (Zen Leaf) is starting a sort of online component for her IRL classics book club. She posted the schedule a while back, and I added those to my calendar too. So many great books being read together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that should keep you reading through the year! If you feel you can't find enough to read with these amazing selections, I'd always love folks to read along with me. And I'd second Amanda's list: http://zenleaf.amandagignac.com/2010/09/classics-book-club.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your blog. You link to the most interesting places and read some great books. Today I added Allie's blog to my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy - Oh yeah, I'm not promising to do all of these; I just needed a place to store them all. :)

    Christina - I am getting more addicted to readalongs and less addicted to challenges; it's weird..

    Diane - LOL! You are quite welcome!

    Darlyn - I hope you join in!

    Andi - Sweetness! More readalong goodness.

    Trish - Oh, trust me, I'm not committing, just keeping my options organized. :)

    Erin - Funny thing, I totally have Amanda's list too. I just forgot to add them in. Going to do so now...

    LifetimeReader - Let me know if you ever want to do a buddy read. I'm up for it!

    Bree - Thanks! Allie's blog is definitely worth subscribing too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading along with a few of Erin's readalongs too ... but none of the same ones as you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some day I'm going to *participate* in a readalong instead of A)thinking about participating in a readalong or B) saying I'm going to participate in a readalong and then, uh, not actually. Maybe this year....since there's so many options and all maybe I'll just *stumble* into participating in one! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many good books to read together. I'm excited for Cutting for Stone, and a bunch of books on the Year of Feminist Classics list. I'm just finishing Reading by Stephanie Staal, and now want to read a lot of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm hoping to host a Toni Morrison read-along but I haven't figured out which month to do it for yet.Good luck on all of your reading.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!