08 March 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Dynamic Duos

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers’ answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating.


This week's top ten list is on "the BFFs, partners in crime, powerful couples, and general groups of awesome people that I just can't get out of my head". Or in this case, my head....

I must admit that not all of my pairings come from books; quite a few that popped into my mind immediately were from the realm of tv and film. To maintain some bookishness, however, I am only going to list those tv/film characters who have bookish counterparts.

Holmes and Watson: Did you see them in the film version? Holy hotness. On a more bookish front, nothing gets me going quite like intellect. When it comes to duos though, is there anything quite like the relationship between Holmes and Watson? The most similar to come to mind is:
Sam and Dean Winchester: These two demon-fighting hotties are brothers whose witty repartee and almost obsessive love makes them quite the dynamic duo. Characters on Supernatural, Sam and Dean are also the protagonists of a series of books of the same name. Speaking of witty repartee:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern: These two bumbling loveables fascinated me in Hamlet, and my fascination was furthered after watching Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, starring the sexy duo of Tim Roth and Gary Oldman.

You may notice that I'm on something of a theme here....hot male partners. I'm comfortable with that, so to continue, let's feast our eyes on:
Damon and Stefan Salvatore: Two vampires I would love to sink my teeth into. As for their awesomeness as a duo, the two are initially set up as being diametrically opposed, but further development reveals that their outward personas may not quite match up to their interior. As foils for each other, much of their personality results from their interactions with each other. Another sibling / sexy pairing to make the list - and our first to feature a female:

Eric and Pam: Vampires from Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series, Eric and Pam are the blood-drinking, sex-having, party-throwing badass vamps of old (instead of the shiny wimps you know). While they are examples of a relative lack of morality in the books (and the show), they are also one of the best portrayals of family in my opinion. And again....Dead Sexy.

So my first five all had two things in common - sibling-style relationship and seriously sexy to me. The rest on my list don't fit this pattern.
Benedick and Beatrice: From Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing, this couple is much more to my liking than the more typical Romeo & Juliet. Just as likely to insult each other as to kiss, these two are wicked fun. For more fun check out:
Percy and Annabeth: From the Olympians series, Percy and Annabeth make the list not only because they complement each other as duo, but also because they had one of the most realistic YA romances - sweet instead of overly burdened by smoldering passion.
Zaphod Beeblebrox and himself: Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy characters, these two are technically the same person, but with different heads, an extra arm, and a narcissistic, power hungry personality. Hilarious. Not quite so funny, but still a favorite duo:

Remus Lupin and Sirius Black: Two of my favorite characters in the Harry Potter series, Remus and Sirius have a heartrending relationship even though most of it exists outside of the story we are told.

And one which doesn't have a book counterpart, but I just had to include:
Peter Burke and Neal Caffrey: From the television show White Collar, Peter and Neal have one of the best on-screen relationships. Watching them play off each other is a highlight of my weekly tv watching.

So who are some of your favorite dynamic duos?

15 comments:

  1. Zaphod Beeblebrox and himself---bwahahahahahaha I love it!
    Good list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I love "Zaphod Beeblebrox and himself." You're also the only one I've seen who included Lupin and Sirius, instead of Harry/Ron/Hermione. Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand your love for "hot male partners." Love Ros and Guil, love Eric and Pam, and love that pic of Benedick and Beatrice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love White Collar! The second season ends tonight - I'll miss the show till it comes back in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally with you on White Collar, I love that show, even though I rarely get to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the best lists I've seen. Go Eric and Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Beatrice and Benedick. They're each other's foils, and I love reading about/seeing them cross swords.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Lupin and Black...the baddest good guys in the wizarding world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Except for Holmes and Watson, I don't know any of the others!


    Here is my Top Ten Picks post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good list. I like that you went with Stefan and Damon.

    Here is my list http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-it-takes-two.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this list! I have to say that when I saw the Sherlock Holmes movie I was basically just feasting my eyes on all the hotness, but I did also love the interaction between them. I hope there is another movie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great list. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is one of my favorite books and I love the film version too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had a definite theme going there ... so sorry to see it stopping toward the end. It was quite enjoyable and I'm glad you included photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your choices, especially Sirius and Lupin. Fun list!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!