13 March 2011

Sunday Salon: The Lost Week

The past month and a half has been hectic, horrible, and hard, and I crashed at the end of last week. Hence the silence around here. I was so amazingly tired - we're talking that head dropping, eyes drooping stuff - that all I could do was sleep and watch tv. Only one blog post and only two books. Sad.

The first book I managed to get through was Fablehaven by Brandon Mull, a middle grade novel where a brother and sister vacation at their grandparents' only to find the land is a haven for magical creatures. The story was a bit too young and too predictable for me, and now I'm regretting my spontaneous purchase of the first three books in the series. First time buying books this year, and my excitement didn't last too long. :)


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, on the other hand, knocked my socks off just like the Mortal Instruments trilogy did. I love the world Clare has created in this series, and the addition of steampunk elements to what was already a wonderfully mythological story has really got me geeked.

Those were the only two books I managed to read, however, as I spent most of my time incapable of focusing. And so I watched television. Two shows really. Southland and Justified. Loved them both.

Southland is a cop show, but unlike all of the others, it is filmed in a cinema verite style (handheld camera, reality style) and the cast is truly ensemble with eight primary characters.  Also, the show follows a day-in-the-life-style instead of revolving around a single case. I've now seen three seasons, and I very much hope there is a fourth. I'm actually really surprised the show hasn't gotten more attention.

The other show I gorged myself on was Justified, watching the entire first season this past week. In Justified, Timothy Olyphant plays a gun-shooting, boots-wearing, hat-tipping, drawl-speaking U.S. Marshall in Kentucky. I like the mix of modern day with Old West they have going on here, and I'm interested to see where the show goes in the second season - which I think is playing right now....and I think I'm DVRing it....


My serious lack of focus this week - thank heavens it was Spring Break - also means that I was a terrible blogger. I only posted once (and it was a meme) and I've been terribly remiss in commenting on your posts. I hope you guys bear with me as I try to get my life back in order.

16 comments:

  1. Sorry you've had a bad week. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Southland is a great show (I think!). I'm hoping it gets more attention so that it isn't yanked, I'm not familiar with Justified but I like Timothy Olyphant so I'll be checking it out.

    I'm sorry to hear you've been so tired...I hate feeling like that. Your body probably needs wants a rest and knows it won't get it unless it forces you to rest! I'm hope you feel more energized soon.

    Disappointing about Fablehaven. But I think your enthusiasm such that you bought the first 3 books in the series is much better than not having that kind of excitement over a series. Soemtimes it won't be justified (heee, heee) but other times it will be. And you won't know if you try!

    Hang in there, take it easy...the light's always on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have our quiet moments but I hope it picks up again for you, Trish.

    Clockwork Angel is a book that I've been wanting to read, I really like Steampunk novels. I think (I haven't read many!).

    The first of your programmes looks really nice, I like that reality style (but acted), the second one sounds... weird! But I din't have those where I live so I can't really judge. You just go on enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, sorry to hear about your bad week. Mine wasn't bad, necessarily, but I was very distracted (television! protests!) and didn't get much reading done at all. I was going to write my TSS post about not finishing books, but then I sat down this morning and read an entire book, so I might get to post about that instead :) I hope you get to some more reading in the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've definitely had weeks like that where TV and sleeping seem to be about all I can manage. Hope you're all rested up now and that next week will treat you better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second your opinion of Southland. It's fantastic.

    Hoping this week is better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you had such a bad week, Trisha :( Sending hugs your way.

    I do love the sound of Clockwork Angel. I haven't read any Cassandra Clare, but this just might be my starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there, Trisha...we have to allow ourselves to rest sometimes.

    My oldest daughter and I were just discussing Cassandra Clare the other day. She received Clockwork Angel for Christmas but hasn't read it yet...since City of Bones was published first we're wondering if we should start with those books first...even though they take place after the books that are being published now??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every blogger needs break now and then. I won't hold it against you. And nothing worse than buying several books in a series only to find you don't like them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you had a tough week, Trish :-( Hopefully that means next week can only be better! I think Clockwork Angel sounds exactly like a book I'd enjoy, except it gets such mixed reviews! I'm torn.

    I also have invested in series and then read the first book and realized I didn't really like them. Never gets any less disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also sorry to hear that you had a rough week. I know what it's like to want to do nothing but veg and watch t.v. over a very hard week, and I am hoping that things are a lot easier for you in the near future. Don't worry about letting the blog sit either. We all need some away time, once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard wonderful things about Clockwork Angel... this just reminds me I need to read it! Glad you had a slow weekend to relax. Sounds like you needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we need a do-over on 2011. Hope you had a relaxing weekend and that things are getting back to normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone needs a break every now and again. All the best and hope you are feeling more rested now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving Justified too! I keep seeing the books by Clare popping up but haven't read any yet. Guess I'll have to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like Timothy Olyphant and keep meaning to watch the first season of Justified. Glad that you are liking it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!