04 April 2011

An Old Favorite: The Sun Also Rises

I have been toying with this idea for awhile now: featuring some of my favorite reads from my pre-blogging or early blogging days. I want to do this, not just to highlight some awesome books but also to explore how my memory stands up to the original review. One of my complaints regarding my reading is the serious lack of retention. Sometimes I read books, and within days, I have forgotten entire pieces of the literary puzzle.

Way back in early 2009, I read and reviewed Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. Here is the review:


Title: The Sun Also Rises
Author: Ernest Hemingway
Published: 1926 Pages: 251
Rating: 5/5

Buy  |  Borrow  |  Accept  |  Avoid

It is amazing how one such as myself, a constant reader, can still find herself reading long-known, but never-read books. I have a distant memory of The Sun Also Rises; perhaps I read it a long time ago. There are many books, particularly novels considered literary in nature, that I read at too young an age to truly remember. So for me, despite this distant memory, this was my first reading of this novel.

I picked it up for two reasons: 1) Brandon said it was his favorite book and I trust his judgment; and 2) Deb said she was going to read it, and I thought it would be nice to read a book along with her and discuss. So around nine o'clock tonight I started reading. It is now midnight and I have finished. I should have read slower, taken more in, but I was fascinated and hence absorbed the novel a paragraph at a time. Maybe tomorrow I will re-read with a more analytical perspective, but for now it was enough to experience.

Two words come to mind after reading this novel: broken and bittersweet. The people in this novel are broken, leading superficially frivolous lives. But the tone, to me, is not one of judgment or condemnation, but rather bittersweet in its treatment of this group who have been made empty. Even the character who could be most despised because of her treatment of men and refusal to forgo sex for love is made pitiful to the reader.

I will definitely be re-reading this novel with a clearer head soon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Thoughts:

I started with this book for two reasons: First, Allie from A Literary Odyssey wrote a fantastic review of it on March 21. Allie wrote: "He is not a flowery writer, preferring to get across his message in short, declarative sentences, but he doesn't need to beef things up to get across the sparse, bare feeling of being lost. He does that well by being straight forward. I love that kind of writing." I love that kind of writing too, and honestly that is my strongest memory of reading the book: the sparse prose, and its direct relationship to the thematic elements of the text. An instance of form mirroring content.

Regarding the plot, I remember very little, only bits and pieces of the more extreme activities which take place, flashes of scenes from my imagination. In my review, I wrote that the words broken and bittersweet were part of my immediate reaction. Those two words still describe my feelings two years after reading. While the details escape me, the feeling remains.

Despite my promise to myself on the night I finished this one, I still haven't picked it up for a re-read. Now I am wondering if I should. Will my pleasure in this book be increased by a re-read?

10 comments:

  1. This is a good idea for a feature. I've often thought about talking about pre-or-early-blogging books, especially now that I won't be reading and reviewing as many.

    Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought you said on my blog that you had tried and disliked several of Hemingway's books? Is this the one exception then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have stayed away from Hemingway because I have heard hos writing style described as terse, and the one time I read him in high-school, it was not a very successful endeavor. But you have made me curious about picking this particular book up. It sounds like despite it's no-frills style that it actually makes you really think and feel. Thanks for revisiting this one. You have given me pause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any Ernest Hemingway (gasp!) but am very eager to read A Moveable Feast. I'd like to read The Paris Wife, but think I should read Hemingway first so I can read TPW in context.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not like this one, but I've enjoyed other Hemingway novels.

    Perfect timing on this book, by the way! We just finished a Classics Circuit on Hemingway and Fitzgerald!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda - Yep, this is the exception I was talking about on your blog. It's the only Hemingway I've enjoyed.

    Heather - I really like the "terseness" of this one, so I would recommend giving it a try.

    Wallace - I have to admit that the other Hemingway's I've read left me feeling pretty 'meh', but this one I really enjoyed.

    Rebecca - And for me this is the only Hemingway I liked!!! Isn't that strange?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to do a Friday Favorites post where I covered books I loved that I read pre-blogging. I love seeing what books people are devoted to and why. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this idea a lot! I'm really forgetful about books I read too, but I think the blog has helped a bit with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I always got from re-reading this book is picking out some of the more emotionally or philosophically charged lines. Hemingway sometimes packs a lot into a small phrase.

    "He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)

    "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?" - Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Avid Reader - I think I'm going to continue with these; although I can't quite decide if it should be weekly or sporadically. :)

    Kim - I think it's a good idea to revisit books, and I'm really interested to see how my blogging has affected my memory of books.

    Brandon - Love the two quotes! Hemingway's concise and everyday language has a way of being simple without being...you know simple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea. I think our opinions about books change according to what's happening in our lives, so I think it's a great opportunity to reassess books you loved.

    I bought a copy of this book yesterday, and I can't wait to read it. I'm looking forward to Hemingway's simple prose. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!