03 April 2011

Reading John Adams

Wallace at Unputdownables is hosting a readalong of David McCullough's John Adams. I bought this book for my grandfather a few Christmases ago, and he loved it so much that for the next few birthdays/holidays, I had no problem buying him gifts: more McCullough books and the John Adams miniseries. Even with his high praise, the chunkster brought out the commitment-phobe in me, and I left it languishing on the shelves.

But I'm ready to power through this 730 page historical tome. It's just so much easier to get excited and motivated when others are reading along with you.

The readalong takes place from Friday, April 1 through Friday, June 24, with a mere one chapter a week commitment. Nice and easy. Every Friday, participants are asked to post reflections on that week's chapter, and then link up over in the comments section of Wallace's post. Wallace has even given a link to a list of questions to guide our posting if we are blanking on what to say.

Why I Feel the Need to Read:

I am ridiculously ignorant about this time period. Seriously, the American Revolution occupies a very small area of my brain with only basic information stored away. Honestly, I can't remember studying it for more than a week or two in any of my history classes, and I've never really gotten into it outside of school either. For such an important event, the Revolution, American history in general, receives very little time in my life. I know more about ancient and medieval history than I do American history.

Then there's this: "David McCullough has been widely acclaimed as a “master of the art of narrative history,” “a matchless writer.” He is twice winner of the National Book Award, twice winner of the Pulitzer Prize. In December 2006 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nations’s highest civilian award." How can you not want to read something by that guy?

Who’s Reading Along:
Wallace
Cindi
Trisha (me)
@jackiemania

Patti Smith
Michelle @ The True Book Addict
Julie G
Katy F.
June Morgan (chorkie)
socrmom78 (Pam)
Melissa C.
Kim


READING SCHEDULE:

Week #/ dates :: Chapters to Read :: Post Date

Week One/ April 1-7 :: ch. 1 :: April 8
Week Two/ April 8-14 :: ch. 2 :: April 15
Week Three/ April 15-21:: ch. 3 :: April 22
Week Four/ April 22-28 :: ch. 4 :: April 29
Week Five/ April 29- May 5 :: ch. 5 :: May 6
Week Six/ May 6-12 :: ch. 6 :: May 13
Week Seven/ May 13-19 :: ch. 7 :: May 20
Week Eight/ May 20-26 :: ch. 8 :: May 27
Week Nine/ May 27-June 2 :: ch. 9 :: June 3
Week Ten/ June 3-June 9 :: ch. 10 :: June 10
Week Eleven/ June 10-16 :: ch. 11 :: June 17
Week Twelve/ June 17-23 :: ch. 12 :: June 24

15 comments:

  1. So here's the thing about this book: it's almost all taken from John and Abigail's letters. And that's not a bad thing, except there's not much critical perspective. So you still need to read more after this one! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! I haven't signed up anywhere 'official' but I just borrowed this audio from the library and it is delightful so far. And since I'm listening, I have no idea which chapter I am on? But he has just met his Abigail (and I won't tell if it was love at first sight or not.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I love American history, though, especially the Revolutionary War. It's an exciting time period to read about. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun! I'm not sure its a book that I'd want to read, but it sounds like a good way to get a perspective on the time period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this book a couple of years ago and loved it. It's a great idea to read it with a group. It's pretty specific to John, Abigail and their lives but it's written very well and captivating. McCullough is an extremely talented writer. I also read his Truman, another great book.

    Good luck & enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you really enjoy it! I will be reading your review to see if this book would be something for me or not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too read it years ago and enjoyed it. Sounds like fun to read it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're doing the read-a-long too! I've been wanting to read this for years. This is such an easy to manage schedule too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard great great things about this one and the miniseries. I have 1776 on my shelf but it hasn't quite called to me yet (the last history book I read on the time period was painfully boring and I'm skerred).

    Have fun!! I find the Revolutionary period fascinating but don't know much about it either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will cheer you on from the sidelines! I love read a longs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you're reading along! I'm into the first reading and I am loving it so far (but I'm a bit obsessed with this time period).

    Like others have said this is very much about John and Abigail -- but, as this is a biography of John Adams, that is to be expected right? You still get a very good feel for the time period.

    I adore John and Abigail because they had such a wonderful relationship. Abigail was such a force in his life and SO intelligent. I love reading about her and her part as a woman in this incredibly important time in history. Looking forward to reading with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are going to love it! And you will probably be borrowing the rest of the McCullough books from your grandpa after you finish this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really loved this. I listened to the audio when I was traveling an hour each way to work and it went by very fast. I didn't realize how long it was until I saw the book....So I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I started this last night, but I'm afraid to say I'm participating in the readalong at this point...don't want to jinx myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What you said about knowing more about ancient and medieval history than you do about this period in American history is so true for me, too. I can only remember studying it for about a week as well!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!