10 October 2011

Chaos Walking: The Film Trilogy

So Lionsgate has obtained the rights to adapt Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy to the big screen. As I'm sure most of you know, I'm a huge fan of the series. HUUUGGGEEE. I lurve it, and I try not to "lurve" anything and settle for the much more mundane "love" instead. The Knife of Never Letting Go, The Ask and the Answer, and Monsters of Men are three of the best books I've ever read, and definitely one of the best series. My not-quite-a-review of the first book in the trilogy started with this:
I have absolutely no idea how to talk about this book without spoilers.  Every moment in the book is rife with possibilities, questions, and excitement.  My mother, not the biggest fan of YAL, said she loved the story because it never stopped, and I completely agree.  I could not stop reading; every turn of the page brought on a deep desire to see the next.  And when I finished, I could not wait to get my hands on the second in the series.
I think that description bodes well for the movies. The combination of intelligence and action in these books is perfect for a film adaptation - if it's done right. There's the rub.

Too often, the books I absolutely love are turned into films I can't stand (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). Some knock my socks off (Lord of the Rings), a few make the cut (Percy Jackson, Harry Potter) and others I find I can just simply separate book and film into two distinct entities (every Jane Austen/Bronte sister adaptation). It will hurt me if Chaos Walking does not knock my socks off.

People always want to know: Who do you think should play X? I can honestly say I have no freaking clue. My suggestions would be based almost purely on looks, and that is definitely not a good indicator of success in a role. But I would love to know if any of you have suggestions for the starring roles!

On a side note, Lionsgate is also adapting The Hunger Games, and the press release linked above, likes to mention that. I just want to cast my vote quite clearly: Chaos Walking kicks The Hunger Games ass. Just saying. :)

17 comments:

  1. I'm horrible at imaginary casting too. But I wanted to say that I'm pretty nervous about this. It's a bit comforting to see almost everyone else be more optimistic than I am - hopefully they're all right and it WILL knock our collective socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Casting Director is not a job I could fill. But I do know what works and what doesn't once the decisions have been made. So now I'm totally going to HAVE to read this trilogy now. I can't stand having the temptation of seeing the movie before reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana - I try to stay positive until the film comes out primarily because 80% of the time they disappoint me. :)

    Sandy - I'm the same way. I have pretty definite opinions once they've casted the roles. And you should definitely read it.

    Jill - LOL! Right!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have still only read the first book. Maybe I'll pick up book #2 for the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea they were making a film adaptation of this series, but I am intrigued! I have all three books, but haven't read them yet. They are a favorite with my kids though and they keep telling me I need to read them. Perhaps this is the kick in the pants that I need. Thanks for sharing this awesome news with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty awesome at imagining casts but I haven't read the rest of the trilogy yet! I can't believe that you can't stand the film version of Hitchhiker's Guide. I thought it was hilarious (I love Mos Def), plus it made me read the first few books of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wondering/hoping that maybe I'll like the movie better than the book. Though I don't like chase scenes that's how this book read to me. A big giant chase scene with a bad guy who just freakin' refused to die.

    I told Scott I lurved him last night. He rolled his eyes at me and then rolled over. Ah marriage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie - I think they would be great books for the readathon, but I'd get both 2 and 3! :)

    Heather - I definitely think you should read them!

    Vasilly - I think I loved the book so much that there was no way I would like the film. HHG is my favorite book, and the one I have read and re-read most often.

    Trish - LOL! I told Brian I "lurved" him once, and he had no idea what I was talking about. :) My hubby doesn't get online often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, I LIKED these books quite a bit, but I didn't fall in love with them like most people seem to have. I definitely do prefer The Hunger Games.

    I don't remember what Violet or Todd are supposed to look like, but I think Alexandra Daddario and Drew Roy could do a good job. I guess they're both kind of older, but they could still play younger.

    The one thing about these books turned into movies that I think will be EXTREMELY tough to translate properly is the noise. How can you translate that to film accurately without driving everyone crazy? I think in a movie it would seem more like telepathy or something... which I guess it KIND OF is, but not really.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ashley - I can't wait to see how they do the noise. I kind of hope they do drive me crazy with it... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want unknowns for Todd and Viola, is what I want. I hope that comes to pass. I'll understand if the film decides to make them a couple of years older, but I think unknowns are the way to go.

    (Chaos Walking absolutely kicks the Hunger Games' ass. The Hunger Games isn't even in the fight. The Hunger Games is high school JV, and Chaos Walking is the pros.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this mentioned in EW I think. I have zero casting idea. I'm never good at thinking of that kind of thing … and I'm not sure I had an image in my head of Todd. I'm sure they will cast him as older than he was in the book. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Your mom's description of the book is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny - I'm glad someone else agrees with me!!

    Jenners - I'm a complete blank on Todd too. No clue what he looks like to me, very vague image...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear, I cringe when books that absolutely loved become movies. It will be interesting to see how they translate quite a bit of these books. And I agree with Jill, they'd better get Manchee right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your absolute joy for these books is why I want to read them; regardless of the mixed reviews I've come across. I hope they adapt these right for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually cried with happiness when i found out this series was being made a movie. Literally cried. Todd- where to start??! I have no idea who should play him, I reeally feel sorry for the casting director cuz it'll be really tough. And manchee!! He better be adorable :) im soso excited but also nervous. I want so much for this movie to be as wonderful as the books. But as all us readers know- the beauty of this book is not only in the fantastic story line but in the amazing way of which it is written. I agree, I hope this movie will knock my socks of too. I absOlutely can't wait three years, I think I'll explode before then, i cant contain myself!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!