08 October 2011

Is it better to be black or female?

I first became fascinated in the pull-and-push between race and gender when I read Shirley Chisholm's I'd Rather Be Black Than Female. The first line captures the main argument well:
If I said that being black is a greater handicap than being a woman, probably no one would question me. Why? Because "we all know" there is prejudice against black people in America. That there is prejudice against women is an idea that still strikes nearly all men--and, I am afraid, most women--as bizarre . . . 
Everyone recognizes racism and sees it as a problem. The same does not hold true for sexism. People seem to think it has been eradicated; or they readily accept gender determinism. People believe that the color of one's skin does not determine behavior, thought-pattern, etc. But genitalia on the other hand seems to control everything. Men are from Mars and woman are from Venus after all.

Bell Hooks' Ain't I a Woman addresses this question as well, and seems to agree. When writing of the slave trade, she makes clear the extra hardships women had to suffer and the tiny differences in treatment due to gender. For example, women were not seen as a threat on slave ships, so they were not shackled like men were (plus shackling makes rape a bit harder). While the lack of shackles may seem positive, this difference in treatment signifies a difference in perception which is sexist in its very nature. The same distinctions in treatment and perception were carried over once sold.

She even argues that the way we look at slavery is sexist:
Sexist historians and sociologists have provided the American public with a perspective on slavery in which the most cruel and de-humanizing impact of slavery on the lives of black people was that black men were stripped of their masculinity...Implicit in this assertion is that the worst that can happen to a man is that he be made to assume the social status of a woman."
She goes on to discuss the gendered separation of chores - where women worked in the house and in the fields (and were used as breeders and victims of rape), but men were only in the fields - and many other distinctions which were rendered based on gender.  And even the freedom slaves were seeking was sexist in nature: they were not challenging the status quo (of white people) they merely wanted to conform to it. Black women wanted to be like white women; black men like white men, and white society was extremely separated based on sex.

On a different note, the Introduction focuses on suffrage. Black men, as we all know, received the right to vote prior to women. Originally, black men joined white women in the fight, but it wasn't until they distanced themselves from the white women that their cause took off.
By supporting black male suffrage and denouncing white women's rights advocates, white men revealed the depths of their sexism - a sexism that was at that brief moment in American history greater than their racism.
Obviously Chisholm would argue that decades later, in the 1970s, sexism was still more rampant than racism, and I would argue that the same holds true today. I did have a small problem with this discussion. Hooks writes that white female suffragists separated from their black counterparts when it seemed like black men would get the right to vote first. Their separation is discussed more as a racist abandonment:
Prior to white male support of suffrage for black men, white women activists had believed it would further their cause to ally themselves with black political activists, but when it seemed black men might get the vote while they remained disenfranchised, political solidarity with black people was forgotten and they urged white men to allow racial solidarity to overshadow their plans to support black male suffrage.
When Hooks writes about the black male suffragists separating from their white female counterparts, she says that:
"while many black male political activists sympathized with the cause of women's rights advocates, they were not willing to lose their own chance to gain the vote. Black women were placed in a double bind; to support women's suffrage would imply that they were allying themselves with white women activists who had publicly revealed their racism."
Something struck me about this paragraph, as if the two groups committed the same act, but one was denigrated because of it while the other was excused. White women were trying to "further their cause" while black men "sympathized with the cause of women's rights". White women "forgot" about solidarity and promoted a racist agenda while black men regretfully had to separate because they "were not willing to lose their...chance." I have no doubt that both sides were in the right, and both sides were in the wrong, but this discussion seems one-sided to me.

But back to the main issue at hand, racism v. sexism. Clearly, the fight against racism is fraught with passionate emotion and public spectacle. Everyone knows the landmark cases, the catch phrases, the pros and cons, the various groups of import, and so on. The same cannot be said of sexism, and that is why, in the words of Shirley Chisholm:
How much harder will it be to eliminate the prejudice against women? I am sure it will be a longer struggle. Part of the problem is that women in America are much more brainwashed and content with their roles as second-class citizens than blacks ever were.
Absolutely. I will never forget the semester I found out that my 18-20 year old female students were sexist against their own gender. No one in class believed sexism still existed. Four girls admitted they wouldn't want Hilary Clinton (or any woman) as president because she might blow up the world if she was having a bad period (no lie, people, no lie). I was horrified, aghast, that these women were so blind to the real world.

To be clear, the opinions didn't change amongst the students depending on race. Black women and white women both seemed to think that there was equality between the genders. Crazy. Crazy. Crazy.

Anyway, back to Ain't I a Woman?. I'm really enjoying reading this - as I am sure you can surmise from the fact that I just wrote a post based on the Introduction and the first pages of Chapter 1! Big thank you to the Year of Feminist Classics for putting this on my to-read list.

Just out of curiosity, would you rather be black or female? (and yes I recognize that the question eliminates every combination outside of black man and white female, but it's how Chisholm phrased it so it's good enough for me).

18 comments:

  1. Argh. That story about your students just breaks my heart :\ Sadly internalised misogyny is incredibly pervasive.

    An excellent post, Trisha. This one is on for me at the library and I can't wait to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an answer to that question! But I adore bell hooks and have not yet read this book, so that's something I need to remedy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ana, the lack of understanding in your students is terrible and shocking, but I am sure that many women feel that way. A very interesting examination of this issue today. As far as my preference for being black or female, well that is something that I would have to give some thought to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's just say that I was not at all surprised that we have a black President (well, half-black) before we have a female one. I'm shocked that your students expressed such sexist feelings. Hopefully by the end of the semester they had adjusted their opinions.

    On a not at all related note, I gave you an award! :p http://couchpotatocritic.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/blogger-award-versatile-blogger/

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first started reading that I was thinking no, but you/the book made some good points. That is really sad about the students in your class... they don't realize how much they are sabotaging themselves by having those beliefs. =(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm echoing what previous commenters already said, but that's so sad about your students comments. Unfortunately a friend of mine said he got the same reaction from his female students when he was talking about sexism. This book sounds interesting and something I need to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have experienced the same kinds of comments from the young women in my classes...they even think if a woman is a feminist that she hates men and even is very possibly a lesbian :/ What real woman wouldn't be happy with substandard treatment anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Before university I don't think I fully realized the inequalities that still exist in our society, whether it be based on gender or economic status or even race. Would I rather be black or female? Well I'm proud of being a woman, despite the sexism that still exists. It is interesting, though, how it's so obvious that racism exists but to talk about sexism seems ridiculous to so many people.

    I find this so fascinating, I was just doing some googling and I came across this article, of which this paragraph I thought pertained pretty well to what this post was talking about:

    But here, some privileged women and men decreed that the fight for equality and against sexism has been won and therefore we western women should all just shut up and stop our whining. (Imagine saying that to people of colour about racism.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was considering whether or not to read this, but I think I will now. I'm black and female so I couldn't imagine being one without the other. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read a quote once that said the one group most discriminated against throughout history, the world over, is women. And there's another one by Erica Jong that says "Women are the only exploited group in history to have been idealized into powerlessness." It's so true, and I think it's interesting how bell hooks approaches being a minority woman in this book. It really upsets me the way that people think sexism doesn't exist, or that it isn't really a problem. It most certainly is, especially in the workplace and in the public health sector. Maternity leave in the US is only about 6 weeks long, and abstinence education is horribly ineffective, which generally affects females FAR more than it does males.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting post. Sounds like a very interesting read, too. The question is very provocative, which it's meant to be, but I don't think it's a question one should ever actually answer.

    I'm reminded of how often I hear people say, "Why would anyone choose to be gay?" Usually, well meaning people ask this. I didn't choose to be gay, but if I had the choice I would. I think gay people are better than straight people are. I look at how badly straight people have treated gay people over the centuries and wonder why anyone would choose to be associated with them.

    There are perfectly wonderful straight people out there, of course. Many, many and more and more all the time. I shouldn't paint with such a wide brush. There are many straight people whom I love. But I have never, ever seen gay people get together as a group and vote to take away rights from straight people, not in America, not anywhere on earth.

    I hope women and black people feel the same way about being women and being black. Asking which you would want to be always strikes me as implying that choosing to be who you are would be a mistake. You might have an easier life, but you wouldn't be a better person. We've nothing to be ashamed about, any of us. We are better people than those who seek to oppress us. They are the ones who have made the wrong choice.

    End of sermon. Thanks again for a very thoughtful review. I may look up this book myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was one of those 18-20 year olds who didn't believe that sexism existed - or that it was something that happened to "other" women. I was the "exceptional" female. Fortunately, I've seen the error of my ways.

    The question is provocative, but I think I'll pass on answering. I'm sure it's not your intent, but I want to stay far away from the oppression olympics.

    I would like to read the bell hooks book. I've been interested in it ever since I first heard of it years ago, since it references the terrific Sojourner Truth speech. I'm interested in what hooks has to say about intersectionality. I've read a lot about how today's people of color often feel unwelcome in today's feminism.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have an answer to this question, but have been thinking about it since finishing Big Girls Don't Cry, a book about the 2008 presidential election. There was a lot of stuff about racism versus sexism in the Democratic primary that was fascinating and maddening to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think (and I know this isn't how the author intended it) that the question itself is troubling, to me. I couldn't put my finger on why until Mr. James mentioned the oft quoted 'Noone would choose to be gay' quote - its a hard thing to hear. If a woman is to discriminated against, I would hope she could wish that the world wasn't messed up, rather than wishing she weren't a woman. There's a feeling of gender or race or whatever being, in and of itself, a disadvantage of sometime - its societies handling of gender that's a disadvantage - perhaps this has to do with point of view. As a privileged American White Male, I hear the question presented from an opposite light (and have, literally heard it that way): If I HAD to be black or a woman, which one would I choose, as if having lady parts versus extra melanin was some kind of Lady or the Tiger choice, you know?

    For what it's worth, I have frequent dreams in which I'm both simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Agh, as an African woman, I don;t even want to touch that questions. That is one should not have to choose which marginalized and oppressed group to belong to. It requires putting racism and sexism on a scale and picking the least offensive one. It just does not work out that way when applied to individuals. I admire Shirley Chisholm but I feel that she is wrong on this. Nobody should have to choose. It is not a choice that we can make. We are who we are and the world should accept our intrinsic humanity and our right to exist and our rights to fundamental rights. Simply ridiculous to say that I choose to be an African woman. I am an African woman, there is no other way for me to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ana, Heather, Jenny, Red, Peppermint, - It really does amaze me that my students don't see sexism when we live in a rural community with very traditional gender roles. Then again, that could be why they don't see it - they've been fully indoctrinated in it and don't have the diversity in relationships/roles of a bigger city.

    Jill - hooks certainly seems like an interesting woman!

    Amy - Yeah, I wasn't surprised by Obama beating out Clinton at all. Thanks so much for the award! I really appreciate it.

    Ashley - Great article! Thanks for sharing.

    Vasilly - :) I definitely think you should read it - at least the first two chapters anyway. That's where I'm at now.

    Aarti - That idea of being "idealized into powerlessness" is what I think my next post is going to be on. It's such a fascinating topic.

    James - Do you think there's something inherent in being gay which decreases a person's desire to oppress other groups? I've often wondered if the problem isn't race/sexuality/gender/religion/whatever. It's possible the actual problem is the age old idea that Power Corrupts. For example, do you think that if homosexuals came to be the majority and to be in power, they would impose ideological concepts upon straight people? And I completely agree that in reality we shouldn't have to choose to be anything but what we are.

    MJ - The idea that black women aren't comfortable with feminism is highly present in the book, and a very interesting discussion.

    Kim - I may have to read that one. I think that election is very relevant to this discussion.

    Jason - I agree we shouldn't have to choose to be anything other than what we are, and I'm not sure weighing one form of oppression over another is necessarily beneficial, but it does make for interesting conversation. :) I love the dream comment!

    Kinna - LOL! It's so hard to separate yourself out, isn't it? A person should definitely not have to choose to be anything other than what we are. I don't think that's the ultimate point Chisholm was trying to make; she doesn't want to be anything other than a black female. She was just saying that she's found sexism more oppressive than racism, and that while we are doing something about racism, sexism is more "accepted" by society.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a Black Woman I find this question to be very interesting indeed.

    I think we are talking about apples and oranges here. Not because race and sex are different topics, but I feel that what existing problems for both are different.

    In my opinion, sexism cannot be sufficiently addressed as long as women fail to see a problem. I think your students are a prime example. I think it is difficult to fight sexism if women do not want to fight it.

    While racism is an issue that everyone acknowledges but can't get past for various reasons. You don't tend to here Blacks say that I wouldn't want a Black president because [insert whatever stereotype you'd like here]. Blacks (and other minorities) are committed to fighting racism but no one quite wants to listen anymore. Or they listen to a certain point.

    Sooo...I'm actually going to go ahead and answer your question.

    I actually think there is more hope in the feminism movement. Once women themselves think that sexism is a problem there is a fight to be had. As for the racism. I think people have gone as far as they are going to go in terms of acceptance and abandoning stereotypes no matter how much passion there is in the movement. For those reasons, I think that it is better to be a woman. (if you could separate the two of course)

    An earlier comment mentioned that fact that we have a Black (or half) President before we have a Female President. The key is the "half." I don't think we would have had that if President Obama was actually African-American rather than of African descent (I understand many are confused by the difference but oh well).

    I'm done with my essay now :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so ridiculous how people are so willing to still put so much weight on both in such different ways. Racism I would argue is still a powerful force, especially when you look at the historical results of it. Sexism so may people seem to think is just a thing of the past. Both need so much work to eradicate still. I will have to look for the first book you mention!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!