06 November 2011

Big Thanks and Fun Dolls

Happy Sunday everyone! It's your sporadic blogging buddy here wanting to give a big thanks to two of the most awesome peeps:

First Stacy of Stacy's Books who, quite fantabulously, sent me a big box of maternity clothes! Stacy sent me some cute dresses and tops, which is thrilling since I'm having such a hard time finding clothes and have resorted to doing my shopping online. Not that there's anything wrong with online shopping; it's just a giant pain to constantly shop and send back and shop and send back.

Second Jill of Fizzy Thoughts who sent me a Cthulhu doll for participating in Dueling Monsters, and this, my friends, will be The Floppy Alienette's first dollie...which is quite appropriate because a) it's bookish and b) it's a wee bit creepy which I like.
Speaking of dollies and The Floppy Alienette, here are dollies #3 and #4 which just came in the mail yesterday:
I am a big fan of the Furry Bones series of dolls. The artist, Misaki, "spent her first 16 years of her life growing up in Tokyo. As a little girl, sitting at the counter in her father’s CafĂ© after school, she passed her afternoons drawing and listening to her father’s record collection. She took pleasure in things like Manga comics, Miyazaki films, 80’s American film, and classic cartoons both Japanese and American. She moved to LA just before her seventeenth birthday, and in high school, she began to take art more seriously. Art class was something she understood in Japanese or in English. She studied anatomy in art school, and spent quite a bit of time with cadavers in anatomy labs. Her interest in anatomy plays a major role in her creations. Her art is, in a sense, celebration of the living and the dead, and something in between as well." And who doesn't like a celebration of that sort?

The fun baby things just don't quite coming as I've recently discovered a website where I plan on spending lots and lots of money called, My Baby Rocks, where baby clothes get a bit of punk. Here are a few of my favorites that I hope to con people into buying for me (and by favorites, I mean a few cute ones I've seen; I'm not even close to fully exploring the site):


As you can probably tell, I've got a serious case of BabyBrain, meaning almost all my time is spent thinking about baby and, in part due to that, I'm a bit absent-minded when it comes to everything else.

Since this is, pretty much, a book blog, I guess I should tell you a bit about my reading too - it does happen, I swear! I'm still having a book ADD issue, so I have too many books going at once. Recently though, I started reading the Ranger's Apprentice series, and I think that will be taking up a giant chunk of my reading time for the next week or so.

Other than that, I'm reading To Join the Lost by Seth Steiznor, a re-imagining of Dante's Inferno with Dante leading Steiznor through hell; Logicomix, a graphic novel semi-biographical on Bertrand Russell; Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (yes, still); and a few more I can't remember off the top of my head. Like I said, Book ADD.

And back away from bookish news, I've been asked to sponsor the Gay-Straight Alliance at my college which is still in its first year, and I'm thrilled! They are a great group, very energetic and creative.

So, I've rambled on for quite some time. How are all of you doing?

17 comments:

  1. I love the punk baby clothes! I got To Join the Lost but decided not to read it, so I'll be interested to hear your reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh you are going to be the best mom ever!! You're going to have the best dressed little alienette on the planet! And you do know, I'm taking the alienette seriously - the Weekly World News told me years ago that one out of every four Americans is a space alien, and you've got to believe the Weekly World News. I mean, of me and my three siblings, we all know my sister Becky is the space alien, and of Jason and his three siblings, they all know Jason is the space alien, and while I only have three kids, Ambrose is definitely the Space Alien, and he's proud of that. So yeah, I'm taking that alienette thing seriously. :D

    Yay for the gay straight alliance, woohoo! It sounds like life is going really well for you Trisha!! I can't wait to hear about that Dante retelling too, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been happy to send you maternity clothes, but I threw mine out some time ago. I think I might have had a ceremonial burning. You won't want to look at them by the time you give birth! I love those baby clothes. Definitely not what you will find at Gymboree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All those baby goodies are so wonderful! I love that a fellow reader sent you the maternity clothes that you have been needing! It seems like you are going to have the coolest kid on the block, what with those toys and clothes. Darn it, woman! You are making me have baby fever now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooove the punkish baby clothes and the boney dolls. LOL Greyson's first onesie was a Run DMC one. I can appreciate the offbeat baby items. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the frilly skirts. Have fun with the baby brain phase :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to have the cutest funkiest gothiest baby in the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your baby is going to be the coolest baby around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those baby clothes!!! They are so cute! I think Baby girl "to be named later" will be quite the smart and sassy baby. A little baby Buffy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute dolls! What do you think of Logicomix so far? I was more interested in the personal lives of the philosophers than in their work. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. S'okay please post all of the great babyish linky websites. Pulease? I have a good friend who is preggers - gonna pop as the kid is sitting at 8.5 and she has another week before due date. And she loves this stuff. Seriously. I've already passed this link onward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I'm not currently making a human being or sponsoring a Gay-Straight Alliance -- my life seems a bit dull by comparison. :-D Those baby clothes are ridiculously cool. Since you're likely to be photographing the little one every time she breathes, you might as well have her well dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way, I'm interested in hearing more about Logicomix. As you know, I'm into philosophy stuff these days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, book bloggers are the best. And I love those outfits :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. First dollie...woo-hoo! And it looks like he's in excellent company. I love the monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I die. That black and red skirt? OMG. I haven't put Elle in many cutsie outfits yet because she grows out of them so quickly, but she's about to be able to fit into a ruffly camo skirt and I can't wait! girl clothes certainly are TOO fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's skirts like that that almost make me want to try for a girl :) Love those dolls. I;m going to have to check them out.
    Hope at least a few of the things work for you.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!