04 December 2011

Sunday Salon: Nook Number Two

My mother, the best mom ever, wanted to borrow my nook for vacation. And I never got it back. She fell in love with easy access to free books and the light weight. In a totally non-selfish manner, I offered to give her my nook for Christmas, and I would just go buy a new one. You know, the one with color.... Yeah, very charitable of me, right?

Then I truly lucked out as she decided to buy my new Nook Color for me for Christmas (well I bought it cuz I was like at Barnes and Noble, but she totally reimbursed me). I am one lucky girl. Princess Trisha if you will. I look good on a throne, don't I?

Supposedly, I was giving the nook to mom to wrap for Christmas. Unfortunately my patience wore thin, and I just had to bust that sucker out and get started. I've already read two books on it, and may I just say I'm loving it. Why do I like it so much more than my original nook? No clue. Maybe I'm a weirdo and actually enjoy reading off a back lit screen. Maybe it's just the fact that I am going through an ebook phase. Who knows with me? Especially these days as I am particularly flighty and random.

I have yet to read an illustrated or graphic novel on it, but I'm curious if any of you have. Is it a good experience? Are the colors/images/illustrations/etc. clear? I really don't want to buy anything before getting a bit of feedback on whether it's worth it or not?

I am also curious to know if anyone shares a nook account. Right now, my mom and I are both using my account. So far, so good, but I haven't done enough research to know if this will cause problems. Will we be able to maintain our own shelves? Can we control what books are on our individual nooks? Are the nooks autonomous?  Let me know if you have any experience with this!

And just to be clear: real books are still the best. But I do like having the alternative.

16 comments:

  1. It's encouraging to hear your thoughts on the Nook. I've got to drag myself over the resistance hump. And you look so lovely as a princess! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading on my ipad far better than I ever did on a kindle. It doesn't hurt my eyes like reading on an actual computer screen, even though it's backlit. Plus then I can read books in all sorts of format - Kindle, Nook, Epub, iBooks, Google Books, etc. I love it! I'm glad you got an upgrade. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the upgrade! I've been hesitant to go backlit and am thinking of getting the new Simple Touch Nook for Christmas. Let me know how it goes, Princess Trisha!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to try out books before you buy them, go to Barnes and Noble and connect to their wireless. Then when you are in the shop on your device, choose "read in store" to try out each book for up to one hour every day. You can also download the comic book etc to the store devices that are on display to see if you like it. This does not cost the store anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you! It sounds like you are loving the experience, and I have to say that I love the experience of reading on and e-reader as well. At first I didn't get much use out of it, but over time, it has really grown on me, and I love using it. I have not had much experience with the Nook though, but I do have a friend who works at Barnes and Noble and can ask her questions for you! Just email me a list of questions and I will get them answered for you! Happy reading, Princess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Homer, my Nook Color, since early July and I love him. I don't read as much on him as I probably could, but I do like it for late at night.

    I read a lot of magazines on it, and I think the colors, etc are wonderful. I haven't read a graphic novel, but if the color is anything even remotely similar to what I see with the magazines, then it'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. E-readers are just awesome little things. We'd never give up our hard books, no, but I have room in my heart for all kinds of reading methods. I have a Kindle though, so I can't help you on Nook questions. So far, anything with pictures or really gorgeous paper, I have to have the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious! I keep thinking I'll give my son my iPad 1 for Christmas and get myself the 2...but my son seems to think that's not really a gift.
    Go figure!

    Here's my Sunday Salon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son recently sat on my Kobo and broke the screen, so now I'm thinking about getting a Nook Color. I hated reading gns or illustrated books on my e-reader because it looked too bad. Real books are definitely the best! Enjoy your Nook, Princess! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely like having the option to read on my ipad so I understand the thrill of a new e-reader.

    And you look FABULOUS as a princess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The throne is quite becoming. And your mom is going to have to duke it out with mine for best mom ever. (My mom leaves us homemade lasagna and cookies and scones.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look lovely on your throne! And I'm a "giver" of my old technology so I can upgrade too! HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pic!

    And I got the Nook Color for my birthday and am in love with it. I still read regular books, but I like being able to toss it in my school bag and have several books at hand easily. I actually really like being able to read in the dark, too. I know that sounds silly, but I've been doing it for ages, and it really is so easy.

    The colors are great, too, though I haven't read a GN on it yet. Why, I'm not sure.

    I know you can share, but my mom has a Kindle, so I haven't really had anyone to share with. Not sure how that works, but I know my mom and I used to share when I just used the Kindle app on my iPhone. It would stay in her library, but I could access it for two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a pretty good deal :) I have two Kindles (plus 2 computers and my phone) on my Kindle account and it works fine, hopefully Nook is the same!

    ReplyDelete
  15. all hail Princess Trisha! I am reading a library eBook right now that is from the Overdrive app on my iPad and I am not enjoying the experience. clunky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All that's missing is the crown!! ;)

    I've downloaded a few eBooks but I haven't actually read any of them. Incidentally, all of them have been for Jill's readalongs (Ulysses, Chlututltutu, and Dr. Moreau). Think you'll like having the ereader when baby comes!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!