16 January 2012

Book Discussion: Northanger Abbey

While reading Northanger Abbey, what struck me initially is Jane Austen's voice. In any of her works, I am most drawn in by the voice of the narrator which strikes this perfect balance between proper and snarky and refined and real. The construction of sentences, word choice, pacing, it is all so perfectly Jane somehow, the type of voice one can easily recognize, like a heretofore unheard song by a unique artist. One can always pick out a Bob Dylan song, and I can always pick out a Jane Austen novel.

The narrator is prominent in an Austen novel, calling attention to itself, commenting on the characters and actions in the story, foreshadowing what's to come, and in general befriending the reader. Generally speaking, the narrator in this novel (and in other Austens) is third-person limited omniscient, meaning the narrator knows everything that's happening but can only actually know the thoughts and internal workings of a small number of, or just one, character. In Northanger Abbey, the narrator filters through the protagonist, or rather the heroine, Catherine. What's fun about this is that Catherine is so very different from our narrator (and our author), and so we get narration that implies a sort of sexism the reader knows is not accepted by the narrator or the author. These comments are easily understood as being ironic and lend the story a great deal of humor (seriously, I am laughing out loud throughout this book).

While reading Austen, I sometimes feel like I am being told a story over tea by a clever friend with a dry wit and an easy way with mockery. A friend you have to pay attention to in order to determine what is truth, what is irony, and what is merely humor. I love this, and I had forgotten how much I love this as it has been ages since I read my last Austen.

Now, then, I leave you to return to my impatiently waiting, eye-rolling, friend Jane.

25 comments:

  1. I think NA may be fast becoming my fav over P&P; or it's a tie. Due to the reasons you mentioned, and I always smile to myself when reading NA. I think you captured this book and Austen perfectly and as how I think of her and her work, in this post. Enjoy your reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been awhile since I read P&P but I do think NA may stand out as a better book in my mind.

      Delete
  2. People tend to give me weird looks when I say this might be my favourite Austen novel, but I'm not one bit sorry :P I think the voice is a big part of the reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you describe Austen and the feeling if being told a story over tea. I've read P and P and S and S but not this one. I need to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would pick this one up Jenny!

      Delete
  4. I've had this particular Austen novel on my shelves for years. I typically read one of her novels every few years (spacing them out), and maybe this will be Northanger Abbey's year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have not read this one yet, but it sounds like I should make time for it soon! I have said this before, but I like to ration my Austen, since I know that there won't be anymore to come. I usually only do one per year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's two people in a row who space out Austen! You make a good point though. On the other hand, I think she may be a joy to re-read. :)

      Delete
  6. I read Austen for the first time about five years ago. I did it mainly because I felt that I should; that as an English major and champion of women authors, I should have at least some experience with her writing. I did not expect to completely love her, or to laugh out loud while reading her! Northanger Abbey is the one Austen I haven't read yet, and I think it may be time to pick it up. It's been awhile since I hung out with my friend Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should read it. It may be my favorite of her work that I've read so far.

      Delete
  7. I read this one last year and enjoyed it more than I thought I would and I'm now looking forward to re-reading it. The voice is definitely there and the idea of the story being told to you over tea by a friend is a great way to put it.

    I started Lady Susan last night and I'm so loving it! The snark in this one is making me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read more Austen. I clearly like her.

      Delete
  8. Nice thoughts! This was my least favorite but maybe I'm missing something. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joys of reading, right? Everyone's different. :)

      Delete
  9. The dry wit is very much part of the English sense of humour. You need to read slowly to assimilate that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make you read more slowly; language and the necessity for thought are two reasons I really like classics.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you're liking it. I'm not a huge Jane Austen fan, but this one was definitely one of the two I really liked, along with P&P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just really get a kick out of her voice. But I think I've only read three of her novels, so I'll have to give the others a whirl to really know if I'm a fan.

      Delete
  11. I feel the same way about Jane Austen. I think she would have the same sense of humor as me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entire dry, ironic, snarky persona she created really gets me geeking too.

      Delete
  12. Amazing -- you've explained my exact feeling about Jane Austen, and why I love her writing so much. She's like the best friend or aunt you love spending time with because she's witty and snarky (and maybe just the teensiest bit naughty).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The naughty is definitely one of the perks!

      Delete
  13. great point about her narrative voice! I'm reading Mansfield Park right now and it's certainly of a distinct style.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!