05 February 2012

Baby and Books

Feliz Sunday my little lovelies! I am chilling at home with my hubby and littlest of lovelies this morning and then this afternoon one of my friends is coming over to meet Madison. While I've been rather unbusy this past week and a half, Miss Madison Paige has been the social event of the season:
She is quite the center of attention as you can see. With talents like this, though, who can blame anyone from being fascinated:
Her giant feet are something of a joke around these parts, and then we discovered she can grip fingers with those elongated metatarsals. And then there's the fact that she can bust out Lady Gaga's Poker Face move which is pretty cool:
 I do worry that this sort of hovering attention may spoil her a bit too much though:
Grandma and Great-Grandma may be a bit too attentive. But she seems to take it all in stride, like its her due, and then she chillaxes with daddy, watching some tv, after her performances:
 Sooner or later, the inevitable happens and it's off to dreamland.

Ah, the joys of being a baby....

As for books, those are pretty wrapped up with baby right now, but maybe not in the way most would expect. I am currently reading The Wild Irish Girl, a 19th century, epistolary, Irish novel by Sydney Owenson, The Magicians, a contemporary fantasy novel by Lev Grossman, and The Giver, a YA speculative fiction novel by Lois Lowry. Since my reading time has been encroached upon by one Madison Paige, I've found a way to modify the way I read. Now, when she starts being a super fussbucket, begging to be held, I pick her up and read whichever book I pick up out loud to her. It does have me wondering if her first words will end up being something like monochronicity or maybe she'll sound like the intelligentsia from the 19th century.... Whatever. Mommy gets to read. :)

I've recently finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and Among Others by Jo Walton, but those reviews won't be out until after the Independent Literary Awards are over. Both books made the short list for the Speculative Fiction category of which I am the director. I still have to read The Magician King by Lev Grossman and 11/22/1963 by Stephen King. The fifth book, Neil Gaiman's A Monster Calls, I have already read. After reading three of the short listed books and reading the first book in Lev Grossman's series, I can honestly say that this is going to be a seriously tough decision. I have really, really enjoyed the books I've read so far and they are so unique and different from each other that comparing them is going to be crazy hard.


Before I run off to check on Miss Madison, I want to send a HUGE THANK YOU to Trish for the giant box of formula she sent me and to Care for the awesome card which was so wonderfully old school I was immediately infatuated.

And Trish, I'm getting a little concerned that our daughters are like twins born to different mothers a year apart. Or maybe they are like dopplegangers or something....
Elle at One Month
Madison at One Week

This could be the proof I need that babies look like babies.....

Well then, that's my story right now. I have been horribly remiss on commenting this past week. If it was just baby and I, maybe, but relatives and friends have been over every day since she escaped from the womb.

19 comments:

  1. How funny - I saw that "one month" picture [of Elle] before I read your post and I thought, wow, she looks just like Elle! :--) I think they look different, but both so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound just like us when we had our babies! Seriously, just reading whatever you happen to be reading, because the baby doesn't understand it anyway. :D Baby just likes the sound of your voice. Though in our case, our boys only liked the sound of Jason's voice, which is why he read them to sleep every night. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with the reading that you've been able to do! And yes, just keep reading to her, no matter what. We read anything and everything to our twins ... the newspaper, the grocery list, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw love the pictures! Madison does look a lot like Elle there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh she's cute! Good job there! ;)

    I like your reading trick. That's something I've always wondered about-if I have babies, when will I read? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loooved this post! I'm impressed at all the reading you're getting done. And there's nothing wrong with having a ridonkulously large vocabulary upon first speaking. She might be doing better than me by that point (I did just type "ridonkulously.")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great post! I loved it :-) And Madison is SO CUTE in pink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my gosh, look at all that hair! I know 17 month old with less hair than her. I love it. I also LOVE that you're reading aloud to her whatever you're reading! You are the awesomest mom ever. She is going to be one literate little cookie.

    Glad to hear you are both doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madison is such a cutie! I can't believe you're getting so much reading done! You're amazing. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to multi-task! :-D

    And little Miss MP is a cutie. She's even got a hint of Elle's mohawk action, which just slays me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been very productive! Love the baby pics....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man you really sound ADAPTED! I was a basket case at this point of the baby process. And of course she should be like the queen attending her court. Every girl should be treated as such!

    I would not want to have to choose between Ready Player One and 11/22/63. Well, I guess I could, but they are both such excellent books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is so so so adorable!! And I love the line "Whatever … Mommy gets to read." This is where audiobooks might be your new best friend and companion on many late nights. I love baby feet -- even big gripper ones!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol @ babies looking like babies. Congrats and glad to hear you're still getting some reading time in. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I looked like this the entire time I was reading your post: :D. Your baby is adorable, and I hope she ends up loving books as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm just smiling over here... how so very adorable this baby that looks like an adorable baby is so adorable! and all the books you are reading, and that you dug the card... cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My dad and I may have found a kindred spirit in Miss Madison and her grippy toes. We're always joking around about our prehensile toes (prehensile, of course, being a pompous many syllabled word for, uh...grippy toes, that makes having toes that can effectively pick stuff up without going to trouble of bending over seem like a really serious and important thing). Creepy toes aside, I love this post, and Madison is adorable, and congratulations and everything! =D

    ReplyDelete
  18. BABY!!!!!!!!

    Madison is a beautiful little bug! And hover away at this point (though I'm starting to get to the point where I shoot daggers with my eyes every time Elle makes a peep and Scott rushes to pick her up). And I do see a resemblance between our babes--though I am in the camp that all babies do look alike. She has a gorgeous head of hair on her!

    happy wishes to you and glad that the formula made it OK. I'll be thrilled if you can use it but if not, seriously no worries. I'm counting down the days (literally) until we can start cow's milk.

    You sound wonderful! Sending hugs to you and Madison (trying to stop myself from already calling her Mad or Maddie). ;)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me baby!